I need to see my harddrives with real names...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Sat May 10, 2008 3:53 pm

hoffman2k wrote:There's less displaced anger towards linux users I guess.
that's because they get enough punishment :twisted:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 am

Angstrom wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:The subject being endless pointless forum wars...
And there's always a stimulus, today it was a CDM article I guess :wink:
No, the stimulus was the 3rd post in this thread that suggested that the solution to the problem of getting drive names to show up was to get an entirely different computer. Perhaps this "get a mac" thing is still considered a joke? Although I'm not sure how

it's equivalent to the exchange: "Hey, why do the houses on my street have no numbers on the doors?" answer .. "Move the US of A, a proper country!". Unbridled patriotism / brand loyalty showing up in an inappropriate place. Anyone exhibiting this behaviour usually tries to pass it off as humour to hide the lameness, but if then asked them .. do you actually hold the view you espoused in this 'humour', they usually do. It's freakish brand loyalty with a sheen of 'I am cooler / holier / more righteous than thou, so any occasion is an appropriate occaision'. It's plain weird.

I pointed out how lame it was to answer a legitimate post by suggesting the problem was with the hardware/OS. My response post from CDM was to show that each platform has issues
Kinda funny cause you make it sound like no Pc user ever said something about macs.
As you can see on CDM, Peter Kirn hasn't got the faintest clue what he is talking about. He just 'provided an excuse'. Kinda like spreading the rumor that cola makes you sick.. Communities literally get sick.... mentally... Happened to Belgium/France/Germany in the 90's..
As far as "Get a mac" still being considered a joke... John Hodgman is funny!
And the thread you linked about the mac issue is about a dude not understanding dual CPU processing in Live. So it would have been the same on pc.

The only thing you really prove is that a few mac users are dicks and that there are plenty of pc users to be bothered by it. By responding like you did, you basically made a bigger deal out of this then it was. A smug unoriginal retort.

Anywayz. Whats the point of having this argument if you completely ignore the fact that some pc users are just the same.

Yeah, a pc user never told me to get a real computer... :roll:

MarkyGoldstein

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Sun May 11, 2008 2:05 pm

No doubt to me: as a trend scout since I can read a magazin in the news store, I can say: Linux will rise :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 11, 2008 5:16 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Yeah, a pc user never told me to get a real computer... :roll:
is that a justification ?
Other people have been dicks, so I can too? I don't buy that.

The reason I brought up that other mac thread was not to say "ha look look macs are all broken and Win is all YAY!!" . I brought that thread up as an example of complete innocuous Mac platform thread that also didn't need trolling.

Sure other people troll, excellent for them. Do we all need to do it?
Especially on the threads that I want an answer to.

It might seem to you like I'm going off strong on this.
But I bet you: if I posted a similarly ludicrous platform troll response one of your bug requests ... you would not respond like Buddha either.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun May 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Oi! I'm offended! :lol:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun May 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:

The reason I brought up that other mac thread was not to say "ha look look macs are all broken and Win is all YAY!!" . I brought that thread up as an example of complete innocuous Mac platform thread that also didn't need trolling.

Sure other people troll, excellent for them. Do we all need to do it?
Especially on the threads that I want an answer to.

It might seem to you like I'm going off strong on this.
But I bet you: if I posted a similarly ludicrous platform troll response one of your bug requests ... you would not respond like Buddha either.
Moving off the point here. You said this was something specific to some mac users. Or at least implied it with the CDM quote.
While Peter Kirn doesn't actually know what the fuck he's going on about. I'm waiting for the 3rd rewrite of that post..

All I'm saying is that PC users aren't saints neither. But we can keep going like this forever if we really wanted to. Both platforms have their flaws, both platforms have small differences within Live and both platforms have fanatical zealots as users.
So this is a valid feature request but would have never been brought up if Live was the same on Mac and Windows.

And that is why I'm so opposed to a Linux version of Live ;)
There may be 2 or 3 differences in Live because of the platforms, but its not because Ableton intentionally wanted to see C/ D/ E/... instead of Macintosh HD..

You ask about justification... Like we're going to educate mankind with this thread... You used to be an admin on a forum where somebody would make 20 000 posts discussing that Atomic Kitten beats S Club 7 and you take issues with this?

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Angstrom, I didn't tell anyone to get a Mac. I would never do that. A lot of people don't appreciate Macs and I respect that.

When someone complains about their computer not having a feature that UNIX has had since it run on VAXes in ninteen-seventy-fucking-three (abstracting away the OS's internal representation of connected resources behind human-readable names), though, I think it's fair to mock a little, since in this case a 'real computer' could be a PDP-11...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 11, 2008 11:25 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Angstrom, I didn't tell anyone to get a Mac. I would never do that. A lot of people don't appreciate Macs and I respect that.

When someone complains about their computer not having a feature that UNIX has had since it run on VAXes in ninteen-seventy-fucking-three (abstracting away the OS's internal representation of connected resources behind human-readable names), though, I think it's fair to mock a little, since in this case a 'real computer' could be a PDP-11...
hi, in this case it isn't the computer that lacks the facility, but the application.
other applications manage to obtain the drive names

and
hoffman2k wrote: Moving off the point here. You said this was something specific to some mac users. Or at least implied it with the CDM quote.
no, I didn't imply that this was specific to Mac users, I merely used a quote indicating that all computers have platform specific issues. So, for OSX that would be Airport causing a (possible) issue with audio, for Windows hiding the drive names away. Neither platform is without flaws. It would have been irrelevant to draw a parallel with a platform that couldn't run Live.

My point was: "suggesting a change of platform is not the solution"

Regarding whether I am going to change mankind with this thread, and how it compares to moderating Pop Websites. Well, I happen to actually care about this topic the drive names, I use the platform it affects, so I feel fine about sticking my oar in. I doubt it will alter anything, but as the issue affects me I will comment on it. Why not?
Whereas for the pop-forums - I never even looked at them myself, I was a manager. Although they probably held great import for the young girls using those forums they had no meaning at all to me but a flow of money.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun May 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Angstrom wrote:in this case it isn't the computer that lacks the facility, but the application.
Well, I'm assuming Ableton did not go out out of their way to make it like this. I'm assuming they coded against public, documented OS APIs which apparently present drives labelled with letters instead of user-defined labels. That's a flaw in the operating system's (well, the userland's) design, not a bug or unintended behaviour - and, I must add, a flaw that's quite symptomatic of other issues with the Windows userland.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 am

noisetonepause wrote:
Angstrom wrote:in this case it isn't the computer that lacks the facility, but the application.
Well, I'm assuming Ableton did not go out out of their way to make it like this. I'm assuming they coded against public, documented OS APIs which apparently present drives labelled with letters instead of user-defined labels. That's a flaw in the operating system's (well, the userland's) design, not a bug or unintended behaviour - and, I must add, a flaw that's quite symptomatic of other issues with the Windows userland.
yes, it's certainly not a bug or unintended behaviour by Ableton's code, but they could do it better.
The lack of drive names not exactly a dealbreaker when you first encounter it but by the 500th time it gets a bit wearing. I think it's worth a bit of effort to 'finish off' that part of the browser for the 50% of users on Win.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... rives.aspx