Multiple Arrangement Panes

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
thelizard

Multiple Arrangement Panes

Post by thelizard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:14 am

Every time that I'm in the middle of an extremely complex track, I always wish that there would be multiple arrangement views.

My idea is this: there should be a drop-down box on the top right corner of the arrangement view that would allow you to switch through multiple arrangements.

Multiple arrangements would help out in many ways. So far I've thought:
-Heavy drum/clip editing. I like having a blank window to do this. Once I've already recorded some stuff to the arrangement view, I never feel like editing since the window is already busy.
-Submixes. If you're a fan of resampling, this would be a great way to put-together mini-arrangements to resample.
-Multiple song ideas. This could help if you don't want to jam the song in session mode, and have some concrete ideas set. This is also great if you have different setlists at a live show, and have certain variations in song flow that you want.

My thought would be that the selected arrangement would be the one that plays. You wouldn't switch arrangements during playback.

Anyone else think this is useful? I think that this would be huge.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:50 am

all of this can be accomplished by

1) scrolling to the right to a blank page (and utilising locators to jump around)

2) using the possibilities inherent in using the browser as 'clip bins' for temporary storage of items.

The simple layout of Live is the reason why we don't have to have window sets and switches and all the interface kludge of other programs.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:35 am

bensuthers wrote: The simple layout of Live is the reason why we don't have to have window sets and switches and all the interface kludge of other programs.
the simple layout reached it's limit when racks were added

@thelizard - rather than drop down menu, keyboard shortcuts would be better IMO

thelizard

Post by thelizard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:52 pm

bensuthers wrote:all of this can be accomplished by

1) scrolling to the right to a blank page (and utilising locators to jump around)

2) using the possibilities inherent in using the browser as 'clip bins' for temporary storage of items.
I do use the browser as a clip bin (and it's actually one of my favorite features in live, as I often decide that a bassline or drum beat works better in a different project), but the main issue is that it still takes too much time to load a bunch of clips or tracks at once. This also adds up to a huge hard-drive hit, as saving tracks and clips re-saves the referenced audio files.
If you're working with 20-30 tracks at a time, it would be more efficient to have the tracks and clips reference the audio files that save with the project folder.

@forge:
keyboard shortcuts would be great. the reason I suggested a drop-down box would be that it could help navigate more complex arrangement arrays by giving it a simple graphic indicator. If you're working with, say, 10 arrangements, it'd be a pain to tab back and forth. However, if you only have two, a simple tab back and forth would be great. I think that both would work well in tandem.