Make Live 8 nicer to fit new OS's better

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
poshook

Make Live 8 nicer to fit new OS's better

Post by poshook » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Try running Live on Leopard or Vista. Its GUI is boring and looks more like Win 95 application than something modern. Live definitely needs to be nicer and its GUI more ergonomic because everydays working with Live is much more fatiguing for my eyes than working with Logic or Cubase.

Try using Old/New Look option (or Studio/Stage option) in preferences.

:wink:

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 am

Define "nicer". What the new look should be like, in your opinion?

I think Live is actually one of the more visually pleasing applications I work with. Nowadays, so-called modern looking GUIs offer much in the way of transparencies, shadows, glossy surfaces, animated controls and so on. In my opinion, Live does indeed look modern, in a more subtle way. If Ableton decides to overhaul that look at some point, I'd prefer a new take on that subtlety instead of a trendy blinged out design.

The same thing appeals to me in the visuals of synths like Zebra 2 or Circle: instead of going with the "me too!" shaded hardware knobs or glossy surfaces thing, they are modern and classy in a more timeless way.

The ergonomy, however, is a different matter. For one thing, being able to edit racks in a spacier and more intuitive (modular-like) view would be an improvement.

poshook

Post by poshook » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 am

Nokatus wrote:Define "nicer". What the new look should look like, in your opinion?

I think Live is actually one of the more visually pleasing applications I work with.

The ergonomy, especially when building big racks, is a different matter. Being able to edit racks in a spacier and more intuitive (modular-like) view would be an improvement.

Read again what I wrote. Compare Live's look with f.e. Logic's is similar as compare OSX Leopard's look with Win95's. What look is nicer?
Try working on Leopard one month 12 hours per day and then the same with Win95. Your eyes will be shocked and also very exhausted. What look is more ergonomic?

I like Live's UI but there is a lot of place to improve its graphical details.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 am

poshook wrote:Read again what I wrote.
:P

Yes. I don't quite buy the OSX vs. Win 95 comparison, or the assertion that Live's ergonomics would be improved mainly by redesigning the look instead of the way the functionality is actually organized (e.g. racks and device chains). For me, using a well-balanced color scheme in Live gives me just what I need, graphics-wise, to pull off long sessions without eye strain.

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:46 am

Odd to use Logic as an example, since it does not look or feel like an OSX application at all.

esky

Post by esky » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 am

Logic's GUI is ugly and has always been ugly. I love Live's GUI and i hope they keep it as it is...

poshook

Post by poshook » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 am

it is definitely about personal preferences. that is why I recommend using two different optional look schemes

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Live's graphic philosophy is still way ahead of the game (apart from layout priority, which needs attention imho), 3d looking buttons and fake brushed aluminium is just complete bollocks designed to create fake bling. Little pictures of fake knobs and sliders, fake reflections painted on fake 3d metal panels etc, it's all just gifs and jpgs.

"Ooooooh it looks just like a real mixer mum! Only smaller and on my very own compooter screen, doesn't it look cooool!" Nope, it looks fake.

Sorry, I really hate 3d looking interface design. :P

That said, I think Logic treads a line between the two, I really hate the look of it's synths though, fake 3d hardware bullshit. Do you still get the choice to view them as controls only? Been a while since I used it.

guly

Post by guly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:01 pm

hope someone will replace your steering wheel with a transparent one, like my new OS interface :P
i'm an artist, don't ask me why.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:24 am

I find Live beautiful & timeless.

It may not be what you have are referring to, but you could edit some skins to customize the look.

Have you tried this yet:
Skins:
http://www.sonictransfer.com/ableton-live-skins/

Skin Editor:
http://www.sonictransfer.com/ableton-li ... help.shtml

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:29 am

Martyn wrote:-1

Live's graphic philosophy is still way ahead of the game (apart from layout priority, which needs attention imho), 3d looking buttons and fake brushed aluminium is just complete bollocks designed to create fake bling. Little pictures of fake knobs and sliders, fake reflections painted on fake 3d metal panels etc, it's all just gifs and jpgs.

Sorry, I really hate 3d looking interface design. :P
+1

It's all about flat & the matte! And with custom skins I can make Live *glow* I get lost gazing into her beautiful eyes... OK stop.
:P

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:38 am

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 am

-1, especially the synths need a new interface.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 pm

+1 Yes, synths and browser - how it would be wonderfull to have such a browser for Live libraries like Apple loops browser or Kore 2 - creative, inspiring and productive. I'm a little tired of browsing using these 3 folders. It was ok in ancient times, but now it's time for new view. Everything would be ok, just these two things, if talking about interface.

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm

And one more - Add Maximize clip view Button & Shortcut, please:

- it takes too long time to drag when needed to maximize

And after that, it would be great, that free space would automaticle tranformed to working space after maximize button is pressed.
now this looks this way:

It would be great if looked this way: