Combine Auto Filter & Filter Delay

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
sunrahrahrah

Combine Auto Filter & Filter Delay

Post by sunrahrahrah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:42 am

Why are autofilter & filter delay two different plugins? I want to put an lfo on the filter which is in the filter delay, and have more than just a bp filter....I want all the types auto filter has. As a workaround I put autofilter > filter delay with its filters turned off in a send, then feed the send back to itself, but this is awkward and ugly.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:48 am

there's nothing ugly or awkward about sending a send back to itself. It's wonderful.

build a rack and get over it.

autofilter --> simple delay

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 pm

A little OT but if racks had sends, it would be cool to make your own compartmentalized, reusable delay racks with internal feedback!

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm

bensuthers wrote:there's nothing ugly or awkward about sending a send back to itself. It's wonderful.

build a rack and get over it.

autofilter --> simple delay
first of all, simple delay has a max delay time that is too short, while the filter delay has a larger one, which is why I use the fdelay.

second, it is ugly when it tips into clipping, which it is constantly teetering on. When was the last time you had just a filter delay on its own dropped in a track go completely out of control on you?

I am not over it, thanks.

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:42 am

Can't you group simple delays together (100% wet, no feedback) to make the delay time as long as you want? Or use track delays if you're creating a feedback loop?
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 am

> second, it is ugly when it tips into clipping,

filter delay is? or simple delay?

I like to combine simple delays with EQ (hipass/lopass and a little mid boost) with a saturator (to control the clipping) and Redux for that authentic SDE 12bit sound.

and as a1studmuffin said, group simpledelays together to get longer delays.

.....the tools are all there....right in front of you... that's one of the reasons why Ableton don't produce too many new plugins - just build a rack with a custom set and you have your own little modular fx architecture built right into the program.

(no ugly environment style interface needed either)

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:51 pm

you guys are missing the point. I understand building a rack. I'm saying, its

a) unecessary. everything I want is in a filter delay, with the exception of an lfo on the filter, and selectable filter types. Why not just add these features to the filter delay?

b) why would I want to chain to simple delays together, when the filter delay time already extends longer?

It seems like the simple delay is really redundant. You can choose to turn off the filter and the other two channels in the filter delay, which should save processing power, and the filter delay time is much longer than the simple delay.