Relative Parameter Adjustments in Racks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
rewind

Relative Parameter Adjustments in Racks

Post by rewind » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:47 am

It would be nice to be able use the rack macro controls to adjust device parameters relative to the setting they already have (or relative to some defined centre point). The aim is to be allow different controls to alter the same parameter with stepping on each other's toes.

For example I might want to have a "brightness" control on my rack that adjusts a filter cut-off and resonance at the same time, and also an overall "frequency" control which controls the "master" frequency relative to which the other control operates. AFAIK there is no way to do this in live at the moment.

(Even better would be to make the actual device parameters aribtrary arithmetic functions of all modulation sources including the macro controls. It's possible to get most of the way there in Reason by summing control signals with some scaling; I guess this is good enough for 90% of applications.)

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 pm

+1

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:12 pm

A macro on a few macros could work. You set up the ranges of individual macros mapped to cutoff and resonance for example.
Then you encapsulate the rack in another rack and assign macros to 1 macro. For which you can also set individual ranges.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:41 am

+1 or adjusting a rack that has multiple's of the same parameter but at different settings, this would be more useful to me than the reletive session/arrange function.

noou

Re:

Post by noou » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Mr-Bit wrote:+1 or adjusting a rack that has multiple's of the same parameter but at different settings, this would be more useful to me than the reletive session/arrange function.
this would be useful also for me... I'm on Live 7... maybe it's already been implemented in Live 8?
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
noou.bandcamp.com

ratafia50

Re: Relative Parameter Adjustments in Racks

Post by ratafia50 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:22 am

Still waiting for that, 6 years later!

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:50 am

Any news on this? Maybe a max for live device?

xavinet

Post by xavinet » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:45 am

Bitwig relative position works that way. Any chance to implement that in next Ableton update?
i didn't see any max4live device that does the job but j74 suite control chosen parameters only when you tweaks its devices; normal control possible when you don't touch j75 device. It's not very clear (what I write) but that means it's possible to control a parameter with max, and leave it available when max doesn't control it...