New curves for macro controls racks

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
rewind

New curves for macro controls racks

Post by rewind » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Now that I'm thinking about racks I can't stop coming with ways they could be better.

Something pretty simple: a choice of curves for the controls. Anyone who's ever tried to make a wet/dry control on their effect rack knows the problem I'm talking about: Two chains, one with effects, one straight through; assign a macro to control the volume of one normally, and the other in reverse. Now the end points are both nice and loud wet and dry signals, but the middle is really quiet!

I guess it should really be the modulated parameter that takes the curve rather than the knob itself, but you get the idea.

Nod

Re: New curves for macro controls racks

Post by Nod » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:50 am

rewind wrote:Something pretty simple: a choice of curves for the controls. Anyone who's ever tried to make a wet/dry control on their effect rack knows the problem I'm talking about: Two chains, one with effects, one straight through; assign a macro to control the volume of one normally, and the other in reverse. Now the end points are both nice and loud wet and dry signals, but the middle is really quiet!
+1 - more bezier curves, on everything in fact, would be really useful. If possible a right click menu, with a drop down menu of choices, like Sony Vegas please Abe's 8)

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:56 am

For a wet dry setting in racks you should instead use the chain. It'll take me too long to explain here but if you read the relevant section in the manual, then you'll see it's perfect for your needs.

On the other hand, I would also like to see curves for midi controls and not only preset curves but also user definable ones like those in Audiomulch. Parameter smoothing would also be very nice to compensate for the highly quantized nature of midi controllers. In most plug in parameters, there is a lot lost when you move a MIDI controller from, let's say, 10 to 11 - with a filter cutoff ranging from 50-20000 you can calculate how much you lose with simple math. And also you get quantized jumps between values - the cutoff jumps from 450 Hz to 490 Hz for example (I'm making the numbers up). If I was able to determine a time of change from one MIDI CC value to another, then I would achieve this smoothing and also other functionality such as adding attack and decay to MIDI buttons (set smoothing time to 1 sec - press the MIDI button - your controller goes from 0 to 127 in 1 seconds - press the button again and it comes down to 0 in 1 seconds.)

Korhan
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

orbita

Re: New curves for macro controls racks

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:49 pm

The chain selector for fading is not very good because 0 on the fade is not off, the signal comes in too hot and there is only 128 steps which makes it very jumpy.