multi point envelope draw (idea)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
dataf1ow

Re: multi point envelope draw (idea)

Post by dataf1ow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 am

Implemented a HOLD or ANY text box. The current envelope will continue playing until finished. Once it stops it will activate on the next received midi note.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/207 ... iEnvy.amxd

I was taking a look at implementing looping envelopes and had a few questions. How would we want to terminate the loop? in accordance with the original length? With a separate duration control? Note offs?

And I'd probably have to redo some of the envelope driving objects to easier implement looping. The easiest way would be replacing the wave~ with a groove~ and then drive the display with the sync out of groove~.

THoughts?

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 am

My thought is that the loop duration needs to match the envelope length for now, just for simplicity. Since the incoming trigger has to be considered asynchronous the trick is getting the envelope length to match the corresponding quantize interval exactly. It might be beneficial to test whether or not the free running envelope loses/gains time to the metronome for a 1 bar length played over 100-200 bars.

There is of course already a hack way of doing a quantized loop: add an M4L Midi LFO with a sync'd square wave, map it to the MidiEnvy Trigger and then adjust the phase until the rising edge matches the downbeat that you want the envelop to retrigger on. I've tried it and it works fine. It would still be a nice feature to integrate though.

The HOLD key is a great addition. I think that it could be wrapped together with a GATE mode that would handle the option of stopping the envelope on note-off (similar to the clip gate mode).

I've been messing around with [coll] to see if I can't come up with a better preset scheme. The recall time for the pattrstorage is just too slow and laggy to use effectively as a performance tool. I'm still considering my "slave" mode too (the last thing you want to hear I'm sure). It just makes sense to me to have a way to apply many different envelopes to a single mapped parameter (or parameters) in real time.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:35 am

- I second clydesdale on everything he/she said just before.
- The device works very well atm, congratulations, it's very good.
- Why not doing a modded version where the envelope would be driven by a midi-mappable knob (ala mapulator, which doesn't work in Live 64 bit) ?
- It's late.
:lol:

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 pm

I appreciate the gender neutral reference. :lol: Though I haven't checked recently, je pense que je suis un homme. :mrgreen:

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:- I second clydesdale on everything he/she said just before.
- Why not doing a modded version where the envelope would be driven by a midi-mappable knob (ala mapulator, which doesn't work in Live 64 bit) ?
- It's late.
So what you mean is that the envelope can be scrolled through at will by a knob?
Basically remapping the linear 0-127 to whatever curve you define in the Envelope?

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

My idea is to stop the envelope loop as usual, with a release knob, if this would be easy to do.

<btw the hold button is great>

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:37 pm

dataf1ow wrote:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:- I second clydesdale on everything he/she said just before.
- It's late.
So what you mean is that the envelope can be scrolled through at will by a knob?
Basically remapping the linear 0-127 to whatever curve you define in the Envelope?
Yep.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm

This would be incredibly easy to do. When I get a free minute I'l throw this together.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:56 am

Don't forget the loop option :D

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

dataf1ow wrote:This would be incredibly easy to do. When I get a free minute I'l throw this together.
any news?

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Another thing I think it needs is some kind of sustain mode so that you can avoid the abruptness that can happen when holding a note past the end of the envelope. My proposal is the following: add a 3 way button for a sustain mode FIRST/LAST/LOOP. FIRST will sustain the first envelope value if the key is held past the end of the envelope (how it works now). LAST will sustain the last value until either being retriggered or getting a note-off from the same note that created the last trigger. LOOP will restart the envelope. If you want a smooth transition during LOOP you'll need to manually match up the start and endpoints.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:16 am

Here is a beta version of the LOOP mode. If LOOP is selected and ALL is selected the envelope will retrigger until the last note played sends a note-off. For example, play and hold a C1 and the envelope loops. Add a C2 and the envelope still loops. Note-off for the C2 and the envelope stops since C2 was the last note, C1 is still playing but no longer has an envelope. This behavior can be changed to suit the need so user input is appreciated. You'll notice that this device will perform like an LFO with a custom piecewise wave function. Map the length parameter to a macro button to change the oscillator speed, or map it to another Lil'MidiEnvy for some strange modulations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzptcH ... sp=sharing

Edit: just a warning, even though LENGTH is defined in quantized values it is not sync'd or quantized precisely to the tempo so it will go out of sync fairly quickly if you don't restart the envelope loop with a new quantized midi note.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks for this :D
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 pm

ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:05 am

That's a nicely done device. A damn rats nest of a patch but that's more common than not. It improves several things like:

- adding a vertical grid and snap
- quantizing to the global tempo
- default envelope shapes