M4L devices broken when opening saved project

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Andrew Hill

M4L devices broken when opening saved project

Post by Andrew Hill » Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 am

Persistent issue in Live 11. Any time I use the bundled M4L devices when I reopen the project they are off and cannot be switched on or hot switched to reload preset. This is happening on old projects too. A track will be silent if a M4L device is on it.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: M4L devices broken when opening saved project

Post by [jur] » Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 am

Can you tell us which OS; which M4L devices? Are you using the built-in Max or an external one?
Does it happen with new sets made in L11 too?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Sat May 08, 2021 7:16 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 am
Can you tell us which OS; which M4L devices? Are you using the built-in Max or an external one?
Does it happen with new sets made in L11 too?
Windows 10 and I'm using built in max. It happens on new or old projects and it appears to happen on any devices including commonly used stuff like convolution reverb.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the non hot-swappable issue was happening with devices like LFO, since there's definitely some issues with older sets that use it.
This is partly due to the update of the devices and their new home being the Core Library Audio Effects folder alongside native Live devices.
Try using the manage device/project right-hand side panel and point its search to an older version of the e.g MaxForLve Essentials pack (if you still have it somewhere on your HD). Your old sets are most certainly referencing those versions of the devices, and if you want them to hot-swap correctly, you need to point Live to these versions.
I don't like how this was updated, it brakes so many sets/presets... it's worth politely complaining to support :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Andrew Hill

Post by Andrew Hill » Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the non hot-swappable issue was happening with devices like LFO, since there's definitely some issues with older sets that use it.
This is partly due to the update of the devices and their new home being the Core Library Audio Effects folder alongside native Live devices.
Try using the manage device/project right-hand side panel and point its search to an older version of the e.g MaxForLve Essentials pack (if you still have it somewhere on your HD). Your old sets are most certainly referencing those versions of the devices, and if you want them to hot-swap correctly, you need to point Live to these versions.
I don't like how this was updated, it brakes so many sets/presets... it's worth politely complaining to support :wink:
Thanks, it appears to have fixed itself as far as I can tell, your explanation makes sense though