Changing the HarmoTool M4L Device so that notes become changed immediately after a new chord gets detected

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Udo Behm

Changing the HarmoTool M4L Device so that notes become changed immediately after a new chord gets detected

Post by Udo Behm » Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 pm

Good day,
hope that there are some M4L programmers here that could help me by changing or adapting one already existing M4L tool. It is available here including description and video: http://fabriziopoce.com/HarmoTools.html
The tool is already doing a great job in recognizing chords and sending them to the HarmoChordFilter device that needs to be inserted in all tracks that contains notes that need to be changed/adapted according to the currently detected chord (see product description and manual for more information on how this tool works).
The big problem of the tool is however that when very long notes are played in a MIDI clip the notes do not become changed immediately as soon as a new chord becomes detected (received by the Filter device). I was asking the programmer whether he could change his tool so that currently played notes become changed/transformed/adapted as soon as a new chord is detected. The developer however said that he doesn't have time for integrating this function in the near future.
So I am asking you folks: Is there anybody able changing the device this way that notes being played are becoming harmonized as soon as a new chord is detected by the filter device? Could anybode implement this function for me?
Thanks for all your help!
Udo

Pasha

Re: Changing the HarmoTool M4L Device so that notes become changed immediately after a new chord gets detected

Post by Pasha » Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am

I use those a lot without any issue so far but I will try to reproduce on my side.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Udo Behm

Re: Changing the HarmoTool M4L Device so that notes become changed immediately after a new chord gets detected

Post by Udo Behm » Sun May 29, 2022 3:02 pm

That would be awesome... Actually I contacted the developer about this already and he has released a new version that now contains a HarmoPadFilter device which is available in the Other Devices folder in the zip file (downloadable here: http://fabriziopoce.com/HarmoTools.html).

The developer mentioned the following about it:
a) Bad news first. The HarmoChordFilter cannot be modified to do both things.
It needs "note on" and "note off" events to work. To add an external trigger will cause hanging notes.
To modify it to do "both" cases (the normal one vs the pad held down chords one) will require a lot of work.

b) Better news. I made a new "quick and dirty" device for the use case of held down chords.
It's now in the pack if you download it again.

It is meant ONLY for long held chords (like pad's).
The chord held down gets modulated immediately by changes detected by a HarmoChord device.

# What it does / how it is supposed to be used:
Like with the HarmoChordFilter you insert the HarmoPadFilter as a MIDI filter.
But it only "stores" notes from it's direct input, it does not play them on its own.
Instead it uses the trigger from the HarmoChord for every new identified chord to play it's output, harmonized.
Side note: it uses the "note off" from its own track though to stop all MIDI output (if the held chord stops completely).

It is the closest thing to your use case I can come up with.

Example:
Track [1] has the HarmoChord device which signals chord changes.
Track [2] has the HarmoPadFilter. You create a MIDI clip on this track with a simple "held down chord" (like forever...).
BTW: other tracks can have the HarmoChordFilter or other HarmoTool devices for the usual cases.

When Track[2] is playing its clip with the held down chord it will not play immediately.
It will only play when there is a chord detected by the HarmoChord in Track [1].
If the MIDI clip in Track[2] stops all notes (the chord is not held anymore) it will stop all output.

This is a quick and dirty thing I could do in 2 hours and it's all I will be able to do as tomorrow I am back on the road.
I will be traveling (for work) in the coming 4-6 weeks so I will not be able to work or troubleshoot this at all.
I am afraid this is what you can get from me for probably maybe this entire summer...
Unfortunately this device is not working as I would like it to work yet. So if anybody is able realizing method a) or another method that would work better I would definately be happy if anybody could do and send me the further developed device.
I've tried the new HarmoPadFilter device but it is not working as good as I would like it to be.
Hope that anyone might take a look at it...