Refreshing all "MIDI Learned" parameters

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hoffman2k

Refreshing all "MIDI Learned" parameters

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Is there an API call to refresh all MIDI Learned parameters?
With refresh I mean: Send out all the current values of the parameters that are MIDI Learned.

The function is already in Live. Live does this action when you turn MIDI Learn Mode on and off.
We just have no means of remotely accessing it.

An example of how this would be used: MIDI Controllers such as the BCR2000 can have presets built in on the device. Control data gets sent to Live, when something changes in Live - control data is sent back to the BCR2000.
But this is only the case for the preset that is currently selected on the BCR2000.
If you change something in preset 2 while preset 1 is selected, any changes made from Live to parameters linked to preset 2 will not be reflected on the BCR when you go to preset 2.

The BCR needs to be "refreshed" with the current values in Live.

pukunui

Re: Refreshing all "MIDI Learned" parameters

Post by pukunui » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:49 pm

If you create live.observers or js callbacks for the things you wish to control, then their state will be constantly updated in your device, and you will not need to refresh them when selecting a different subset of them to view.

Hope that makes sense.

-A

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 am

pukunui wrote:If you create live.observers or js callbacks for the things you wish to control, then their state will be constantly updated in your device, and you will not need to refresh them when selecting a different subset of them to view.

Hope that makes sense.

-A
I don't see how that aides with refreshing MIDI Learned parameters. If I go with the API for this, I need a menu for every parameter. On top of that, since midiin is crippled, I'd have to sacrifice a MIDI Track that doesn't allow all MIDI to be passed thru anyway.

And even a Max Patch can't detect which preset my BCR is on. If some parameter value changes if that preset isn't in view, its like nothing happened.
The function to refresh everything already exists in Live, we just need a callback for it.

Cheers

- B

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Ah - I thought you were using your BCR as a model of some problem in MFL. I see you are actually looking for help with your BCR. Why bring MFL into it at all? MFL doesn't have this issue, so maybe this is a potential feature for the Live app.

-A

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm

pukunui wrote:Ah - I thought you were using your BCR as a model of some problem in MFL. I see you are actually looking for help with your BCR. Why bring MFL into it at all? MFL doesn't have this issue, so maybe this is a potential feature for the Live app.

-A
Currently I'm working around this problem using a Max patch.
Instead of using the presets on the BCR, I'm storing them in a Max patch and let the max patch be the place where I select presets.

I suppose I either have a feature request or I need some clarification on API Control Scripts.

In the very first API Model documentation, there was a Control Script function called request_rebuild_midi_map and refresh_state. Does this function send out all currently assigned parameters? (To clarify, if I have CC01 assigned to a filter cutoff - refreshing would send out the CC with its value out of Live's remote input. Just like turning MIDI Learn off does.)

Also, this problem isn't specific to my BCR and many people are using the patch I built as a workaround. This problem applies to all controllers that have presets that makes the same set of knobs send out a different CC's.

The patch I built can be found here: http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Max/M ... rformer-16

So essentially, if I can somehow access whatever function causes Live to send out all assigned CC's, then my application would consist out of a single button labeled "Refresh".

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey Bjorn,

Was this ever resolved? I was hoping that such a feature would be possible.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm

LOFA wrote:Hey Bjorn,

It still isn't resolved. You can do many things with the control surfaces stuff if the Live object model is anything to go by. But nobody has figured out which commands to send yet.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
LOFA wrote:Hey Bjorn,

It still isn't resolved. You can do many things with the control surfaces stuff if the Live object model is anything to go by. But nobody has figured out which commands to send yet.
Well, I personally have enough to concentrate on for now, grokking these live.objects, but I am also looking forward to the completed documentation.