[OT] copying or moving envelopes with data

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Mattijs

[OT] copying or moving envelopes with data

Post by Mattijs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi,

Just in case someone of Ableton is reading this who is interested in first impressions of Live (not M4L), the rest please ignore this. I'm posting in this forum because I don't know if this applies to the non-m4l version as well.

As a Logic user who hasn't used Live for some time now, I find it hard to move or copy envelopes -together- with note or audio selections.

In Logic, when I select a region of notes or audio and I drag it to a different location, there is a pop-up that asks whether to move automation data too. In Live though I can't find an option like that. Is it really true that if I want to move a block of notes and the accompanying automation data all to a different location, I have to do Shift+move or 'copy envelope' and 'paste' for every envelope separately?

Live 69583

Best,
Mattijs

Mattijs

Re: [OT] copying or moving envelopes with data

Post by Mattijs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Addition: this only applies to automation that belongs to plugins, not to the mixer automation. The mixer automation works as I would expect, i.e. is automatically copied/moved with the track data.

Mattijs

Mattijs

Re: [OT] copying or moving envelopes with data

Post by Mattijs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm

One more thing: If I understand correctly, the way to move an envelope to a different location on the timeline is to press Shift, grab a -point- (not a line) of an envelope and then start dragging. What I find unexpected is that pressing Cmd during this operation does not make a copy of the envelope, whereas pressing Cmd while dragging track data does.

Hth,
Mattijs