[awi] deleting /Bugreporting/Live_Run_ folders

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stefan-tiedje

[awi] deleting /Bugreporting/Live_Run_ folders

Post by stefan-tiedje » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 am

Bugs eat disk space obviously. I learned to delete the Live_Run_ folders in
~/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Bug Reporting/ as Friedemann suggested in another thread. (Freed almost 2 GB of space...).
But then I did this once while Live was running and had some unsaved changes. I wanted to quit Live, and it would ask to save. But Live refused to quit due to a missing Live_Run_ folder I just had deleted (and emptied the trash...).
Neither saving nor canceling would help. I had to force quit Live...
I guess these Bugreporting folders will only be in the beta, and now as I know, I won't delete the newest folder. I just wanted to mention it...
It would be also helpful, if the space in the Bugreporting folder would be limited automatically as it could easily create problems. I don't think it makes sense to keep more than 2 or 4 of these folders. Live could delete the older ones automatically...

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

stefan-tiedje

Re: deleting /Bugreporting/Live_Run_ folders

Post by stefan-tiedje » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Live and Max seem to eat even more space. I deleted all bug reports and still there is about 1.5 GB gone somewhere. I don't know where to search. This is turning out to create real problems.
I keep a Max 5.08 for my ongoing performances, but with less than 1 GB disk space left this is going to be a risk.
Is there a way to find on a Mac where the recent space has vanished? I searched in Library/Caches already but couldn't find the gone space there. Is Live eventually copying Libraries or something like that?

I recognized that the Grand Piano Lite suddenly was in my BetaLibrary Folder after loading the M4L Midi Tutorials. Strangly Spotlight isn't able to find them. If I let spotlight search for "Grand Piano" in filenames, I get zero results though I can see directly in an open folder a lot of them. That way I can't check if there are duplicates and where they are...

Any advice where to find the gone space are greatly appreciated...

Stefan

Friedemann

Post by Friedemann » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi,

the content that Max installs into the Live Library is roughly 200MB large (mainly samples used by the tutorials). Could it be that this folder or one of its parents is marked as not to be scanned by spotlight in spotlight's preferences?

Bug reporting data that is more than 2 days old should be erased automatically. Please let me know if this is not the case on your system.

Best, Friedemann
Friedemann Schautz
schautz@ableton.com

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Friedemann wrote:Could it be that this folder or one of its parents is marked as not to be scanned by spotlight in spotlight's preferences?
I observe this since ages on different Mac models. All categories in the spotlight preferences are checked, but it seems it doesn't search the library/system folders. Maybe its because I have a german system? I would love to know how to tell spotlight to search everything but haven't found out. Others don't seem to have that problem but I have no idea why...

Stefan