Is this possible with M4L?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
kcinsu

Is this possible with M4L?

Post by kcinsu » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to Max, and I'm excited about the possibilities of M4L, but I want to be sure that this can actually be implemented, as it is the main feature I'd like to use it for...

Would it be possible to make a custom interface for an external synth? More specifically, I'd like to make an interface for a drum machine I designed on my Nord Modular G2.

Ideally I'd like to merely load up my patch in the G2, with all the assignments already made, and never have to open the G2 editor. I'd like it so that if I change a knob on the G2, it shows in the M4L interface, and vice versa. Each knob would be titled like "bass drum pitch" "bass drum decay" etc, so that when I open the clip envelope, I see those names, opposed to "MIDI CC #x"

Finally, would these M4L knobs be recordable in session view? In theory, they are MIDI ccs, so I would assume yes... but would M4L handle them as automation parameters (ie, only recordable to the arrange view?)

Anyone have any insight into this?

andrewbenson

Re: Is this possible with M4L?

Post by andrewbenson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm

While I'm not familiar with the specific MIDI implementation of the G2, this sounds completely possible. Check out the Lessons regarding MIDI processing and generation in the Max for Live lessons folder.

AB

kcinsu

Re: Is this possible with M4L?

Post by kcinsu » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 am

So I started messing around with this... after about an hour of getting used to Max, I've already got this interface rolling... this is fantastic! Exactly what I wanted... this is going to change my whole approach!

Thanks!