How to get live.dial behave like the bound device param?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
steff3

How to get live.dial behave like the bound device param?

Post by steff3 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:05 am

Hello,

Well, is there a way to get live.dial behave like the device's param it is bound to? With selectedDevice.get("value") I get the float representation of the value. Trying to adjust the exponent property in the live.dial's inspector allows me to match to one setting, but it seems that Ableton uses more complex value scales.

Also within a JS the when I try to save (pattr) the value I got from the device's param, pattrstorage saves a jsobject instead of a float ... how to handle that?

btw, is there a possibility to rescue a m4l-device Live has killed (says it is no valid device ...)

Thanks

best

hoffman2k

Re: How to get live.dial behave like the bound device param?

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 am

steff3 wrote:btw, is there a possibility to rescue a m4l-device Live has killed (says it is no valid device ...)
Try opening it in a text editor and paste it into Max. It worked for me on one occasion.

You need the Max and Min of a parameter so that you can scale all parameters to the same range.

steff3

Re: How to get live.dial behave like the bound device param?

Post by steff3 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks for the tip with the text - that worked, got my file back ....

With Min -Max - well, I set the @Range/Enum to the same range as the control in the Live device ... Then I get the float value from the device's control and feed that into the live.dial- can only get it to match for one value.

maybe the best is to disconnect the link, go to the device and make the settings and reconnect the link and inquire the new value.

thanks

best