anyone else missing "building blocks" and "tools" folders?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
parking sun

anyone else missing "building blocks" and "tools" folders?

Post by parking sun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:32 am

Hey folks,

I'm trying to follow along with the tutorials and various examples around the web of Max for Live... and I find references to folders full example presents called "Building blocks" and "Tools" (e.g. midi building blocks). And I have no such folders in my library as these:Image

When should these folders have been created? Should I, in fact, have these folders full of abstractions and building blocks, or were they removed in some release or other? If I've somehow managed to miss them, how would I get them re-installed? Just to confirm, I ahve a fully functional copy of M4L. I'm just a littel frustrated about how much wheel re-inventing I seem to be doing in my patchers. And I do seem have a full roster of Pluggo effects, plus LoopShifter, StepSequencer and Buffer Shuffler. I've "repaired" my library, and re-installed both max and live.

(if it'a any help, I'm also missing live abstractions

(OS X 10.6.2, Max 5.1, Live Suite 8.1)

parking sun

Re: anyone else missing "building blocks" and "tools" folders?

Post by parking sun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 am

For interest, here;s what my max midi instruments preset folder looks like:

yup, no Building Blocks there. And no, they don't come up in a spotlight search either. If those files are anywhere on my hard drive it's packed away in an unindexable compressed archive of some kind.

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:57 am

parking sun wrote:For interest, here;s what my max midi instruments preset folder looks like:

yup, no Building Blocks there. And no, they don't come up in a spotlight search either. If those files are anywhere on my hard drive it's packed away in an unindexable compressed archive of some kind.
Looks like you might need to repair your library. All is as expected for me - running 8.1.1b3
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

parking sun

Post by parking sun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:12 am

@jon_moore

Thanks. But I too that snapshot just minutes after doing a complete repair on my library! it took 3 hours, and at the end there were still no max example Building Blocks.

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:22 am

parking sun wrote:@jon_moore

Thanks. But I too that snapshot just minutes after doing a complete repair on my library! it took 3 hours, and at the end there were still no max example Building Blocks.
Ouch! Worse case scenario I can zip up the missing folders for you to download but I'm not sure it's the best long term solution.

Let me know anyway.
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

pid

Post by pid » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:43 am

in your Max 5 installation, there should be a folder called "support". inside that there is a folder called "LivePacks". inside that there is a .alp file called "MaxForLiveContent.alp". install this live pack as you would normally - then everything should appear in Live. i feel for you because 1-- i tried repairing live library numerous times and had hell! 2-- the m4l content is VERY good, and you have been sadly missing it!

hope this helps.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

parking sun

Post by parking sun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:40 pm

@pid bingo! that worked. Thanks kindly, folks. Max library content in the house.