Clip Mapper 1.0

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hoffman2k

Clip Mapper 1.0

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:02 am

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Max/M ... lip-mapper

Clip Mapper is a M4L Device that allows the user to assign 16 parameters to a clip and recall those parameters when an assigned clip is triggered.

The 8 knobs and 8 buttons on this device can be controlled using MIDI Learn or Automap. The knobs and buttons can be assigned to any device on any track. You could for example have all your bass control parameters assigned to Clip 2 on Track 2 and all your beat control parameters assigned to Clip 1 on Track 1. By triggering either of those clips, the chosen parameters will be available to control with the Clip Mapper Device.

This allows you to free up many knobs and buttons on your physical controllers. And you don't need to memorize how to recall the correct controller presets during a live situation.

- Click on this link to go to the download page

- Video of the Clip Mapper in action
Last edited by hoffman2k on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 13 times in total.

ytsek

Re: [Sharing Rocks] Clip Mapper (0.7)

Post by ytsek » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Looks nice. Probably gonna try it when I have time. Which will be next year probably. :(

Thankz. :)

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 pm

I love things like this. Simple and elegant in appearance whilst enabling deep modulation options in the heat of a live set.

Very cool idea. Can't wait to see how this one develops.
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

bulo

Post by bulo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Great idea Hoffman!
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

technog0d

Post by technog0d » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Definitely a useful tool. Good job... These are the type of things I can see in everyone's Live Sets.

Mike
Websites:
Max For Live Community site:
http://www.max4live.info
http://www.noisemakers.info

Controllers: Lemur, Ohm 64, Monome, APC40, Launchpad
Daw: Live 8 Suite
Audio Interfaces: Apogee Ensemble & Duet
Monitors: JBL LSR 4300

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:48 pm

The good news is that Max 5.1.1 will allow me to modify the patch so that data is stored with the Live Set.

The bad news is that 5.1.1 broke one of the menu's in the device. It should be an easy fix, but it has me stumped at the moment since the menu below it does work. I'll update it for 5.1.1 soon.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Really looking forward to checking this baby out. I've been looking forward to seeing what you were cooking-up!

twoandtwo

Post by twoandtwo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:12 pm

this looks very promising, i have to try this.
did you consider a smoothing/morphing feature, so the parameters blend over smoothly?
i wish someone would program a m4l device similar to audiomulchs metasurface, that would be amazing.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:22 pm

twoandtwo wrote:did you consider a smoothing/morphing feature, so the parameters blend over smoothly?
[pattrstorage] does this natively.
twoandtwo wrote:i wish someone would program a m4l device similar to audiomulchs metasurface, that would be amazing.
http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=max
the hard work has already been done - It's infinitely more flexible than the MetaSurface thing...
I hope Oli won't mind me hotlinking this:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

twoandtwo

Post by twoandtwo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 am

Machinate wrote: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=max
the hard work has already been done - It's infinitely more flexible than the MetaSurface thing...
I hope Oli won't mind me hotlinking this:
it looks really amazing, but it says it is only supported by max4.55. i don´t want to get offtopic here, i just hope there will be a metasurface for m4l someday. now lets see, what this clip mapper can do and how it will evolve... :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Here's a quick update for people using Max 5.1.1:

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... 00.7.1.zip

This fixes the first menu being blank.

In the works for 0.8 are storing of data with the set (no external files), Automapping fix and a reduced number of live.path calls.

toscanini

Post by toscanini » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:37 pm

hoffman2k, thank you very much for this!! I really beleive this is an amazing tool and happens to correspond exactly to the logic that I try to follow in my setups.
One question though, if you don't mind: from your description I understand that after proper editing and control->parameter assigning, a clip now should almost work like a complex preset of all parameters when it is recalled. I cannot really reproduce this: if I control, say, parameter A with control 1 and parameter B with control 2 in one clip, and parameter C with c1 and parameter D with c2 in another clip, as I change between clips, the suddenly uncontrolled parameters stay at their last location. I do see the "jumps" that you mention on Clip Mapper itself, but not on the controlled devices. What am I missing?

Another thought, concerning the possibility to define min and max values for the MIDI controlled parameters in the MIDI editor, and which seems to be lost in this new approach: just to tell that I hope you'll come up with a solution to get that back as well...

Many thanks again, and congratulations for this powerful device!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:58 am

toscanini wrote:hoffman2k, thank you very much for this!! I really beleive this is an amazing tool and happens to correspond exactly to the logic that I try to follow in my setups.
One question though, if you don't mind: from your description I understand that after proper editing and control->parameter assigning, a clip now should almost work like a complex preset of all parameters when it is recalled. I cannot really reproduce this: if I control, say, parameter A with control 1 and parameter B with control 2 in one clip, and parameter C with c1 and parameter D with c2 in another clip, as I change between clips, the suddenly uncontrolled parameters stay at their last location. I do see the "jumps" that you mention on Clip Mapper itself, but not on the controlled devices. What am I missing?

Another thought, concerning the possibility to define min and max values for the MIDI controlled parameters in the MIDI editor, and which seems to be lost in this new approach: just to tell that I hope you'll come up with a solution to get that back as well...

Many thanks again, and congratulations for this powerful device!
You lost me a little with the alphanumeric thing you got going, I'm not sure what you're trying to automate and what you're expecting.
Just to be clear, this device doesn't store values. It just stores which parameters are assigned to which clip. When triggered, the values that come up are the ones of the currently chosen parameter.

The way some parameter ranges are mapped out by default, doesn't make a lot of sense.
For example, a parameter going from 0.10 to 60 seconds has an API Range of 0. to 1. A parameter going from -48 to +48 will have an API Range of -48 to +48.
You can't really anticipate which parameters are going to display their correct values and which ones have a range of 0. to 1.
It works properly in my device because I've remapped any of these ranges to 0-127 (could also be 0-16383). So the knobs on the device always can control the entire range.
That being said, it is possible to add custom ranges to this device. But not like its done in Live. It all requires a Max solution.

toscanini

Post by toscanini » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 am

Sorry i wasn't accurate enough: I was testing with one single track, and two different clips in the same track. I was using only two knobs of the clip mapper, to control 2 parameters in one clip, and 2 different ones in the other. And I was observing what happens as you change clip, to the parameters that lose their control assignement. And the answer is, they stay at their last position from previous clip. Which means, you don't actually recover a preset, or better said, you don't have your clip always sound the same as it triggers. (I was hoping for this because I mostly implement a comparable system into my Reaktor ensembles with too many controls, although it is obviously not the same complexity in the setup)

So I guess the solution for me is to edit flat envelopes in the clips for the "passive" parameters, either with the IAC workaround, which is easy but I end up needing one MIDI CC number for each parameter the same (what you so brilliantly just avoided), or with the traditional drawing envelopes into clips method that I never liked and trusted.

...but maybe you already see a better solution? :)
thank you again!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:01 pm

toscanini wrote:Sorry i wasn't accurate enough: I was testing with one single track, and two different clips in the same track. I was using only two knobs of the clip mapper, to control 2 parameters in one clip, and 2 different ones in the other. And I was observing what happens as you change clip, to the parameters that lose their control assignement. And the answer is, they stay at their last position from previous clip. Which means, you don't actually recover a preset, or better said, you don't have your clip always sound the same as it triggers. (I was hoping for this because I mostly implement a comparable system into my Reaktor ensembles with too many controls, although it is obviously not the same complexity in the setup)

So I guess the solution for me is to edit flat envelopes in the clips for the "passive" parameters, either with the IAC workaround, which is easy but I end up needing one MIDI CC number for each parameter the same (what you so brilliantly just avoided), or with the traditional drawing envelopes into clips method that I never liked and trusted.

...but maybe you already see a better solution? :)
thank you again!
Actually the Clip Mapper should jump to the accurate value of the displayed parameter. If this isn't the case its a bug. At any rate, the guts of the next update will be drastically different. Although it'll still look the same and do the same, perhaps it will do it better.