Clip Mapper 1.0

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
concrete_cow

Re: Clip Mapper (0.9.8) [Added Video]

Post by concrete_cow » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm

HMmm..... i may have to retract my last statement about the objects patch not working...

After I had tested the objects version, I hot swapped back the remote version but I was seeing the same behaviour with the knobs being erratic. So i restarted live and loaded the set again with the remote version. Still the same problem was there... so I rebooted my mac and low and behold, the same set worked fine this time... I decided to have a play with the objects version again, and this time, it seems to be working just as fast as the remote version!

Not had a chance to test in full but from preliminary testing it seems to be working perfectly :)

I'm in the process of preparing my set for the gig on friday. I'll continue to work on that using the objects version and let you know if i see any oddities

Btw. Have you had a chance to test it yet?

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Retraction no2. It's goes crazy after it's built up a little more history ;)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Well I just downloaded 0.9.6 and it's a great little tool! (I didn't see 0.9.8 anywhere, the link is for 0.9.6) I haven't tried it since 0.7. Awesome that there is now an audio effect version. This now lets me assign macros to group tracks from parameters in the sub tracks. This is the biggest reason I got Max for Live! :D It's generally working well now except for a couple things. One is that I've seen it lose it's mapping and I can't tell why exactly. It still had the labels on the Clip Mapper knob, but it no longer controlled the parameter. I didn't move the track or anything. I may have deleted a different track in the set (which came after it so it shouldn't have changed the track number). I'll have to test it more to see why this is happening. The second thing, the most important, is that the mappings don't seem to save when you save your set and re-open. The mappings are just gone, not even labels left. I feel like I must be doing something wrong though, since I can't see this being overlooked. I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if that's already been covered.

Hoffman, I'm still hoping to do my ClipSnapper variation of this, but haven't had time. It would be almost the same device, except that rather than recalling different parameters per clip, it would recall different values of those assigned parameters. The same parameters wold stay assigned always, clips would store snapshots of the parameters basically. I'm too busy to get to that these days, so if anyone else wants to have a go at "ClipSnapper", please do! :wink:

cheers and good work Hoff!

EDIT: Ijustfound the most recent 0.9.9.2 a couple pages back. However, is there no audio effect version?
Professional Shark Jumper.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:49 pm

It may look as if your settings have been lost, but try and launch the clips you mapped them too and they always recall for me now!

Best max patch by a mile, i finally have dynamic control over my sends.....

Cheers
D

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 pm

concrete_cow wrote:Try this link - it's the audio version 0.9.9.2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121914/ClipMapp ... 9.9.2.amxd
Thanks man! Got it.
S4racen wrote:It may look as if your settings have been lost, but try and launch the clips you mapped them too and they always recall for me now!

Best max patch by a mile, i finally have dynamic control over my sends.....

Cheers
D
Ok, I tried assigning the parameters to clips, and they did re-appear in a saved set when I triggered the clips. However the way I would use it would be that I would not assign different parameters to those knobs so I would want them to simply open as they were assigned last and I'd leave them like that. And Yeah I know this is not even using the coolest part of this device, but I mainly want it as a group track macro device, I wouldn't assign different mappings to different clips...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm

PM me your email then mate, might have something for ya....

Cheers
D

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:05 pm

S4racen wrote:PM me your email then mate, might have something for ya....

Cheers
D
Done! :mrgreen:

thinktank

Post by thinktank » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:35 am

finally, my idea realized in a well organized easy to use format. nice job, cant wait to integrate it. Delicious again ableton.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Cheers guys.
Been a bit busy this week. I'll try to get all the different types up for the 1.0.
I'll make some changes for the audio version so it knows its on an audio/master/return track. This is important for storing data. As each track has its own memory with this device.

hoffman2k

Re: Clip Mapper 1.0

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm

1.0 is up! Comes in a nice little Live Pack installer.
It will install an Audio and MIDI version in the "The Covert Operators" folder of the Max Effects.
New video to replace the foggy one coming soon.

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... .0.alp.zip

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Nice idea, live packs... .mmmmmmm!

Is there any changes to .09?

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

S4racen wrote:Nice idea, live packs... .mmmmmmm!

Is there any changes to .09?

Cheers
D
No changes from 0.9.9.2 which rocked as far as I am aware.
I did make a small change for the Audio Version. The device knows if its on a track, master track or return track. This is relevant for the way I store the data (data linked to tracks).
I also properly set up Automap parameter order, because the Audio version lost those settings when replicating.

You can hotswap this version with anything from 0.9.8 and upwards.
If there are any issues, let me know. But I hope we cleared up everything. I'm having no issues here.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm

concrete_cow wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Do you mind if I pass this one along to Ableton? With details of my setup and this set they should get the exact same issue over there. Might help them to track down whatever is crippling Live. What is happening here should never happen and I've personally hadn't experienced it before. But your set is just another typical example of how varied all our sets are. One chance in thousands to run across something like this.

As somebody who built his fair share of sets with outlandish workarounds I can only bow down to this one Sir.
And I know why there's no sound, there's only one sample in the samples folder. The .als file itself takes up the 6mb.
You have my blessing, please feel free to pass it along. Go easy on them, they're probably feeling overworked and under appreciated right now! (Rightfully so lol!) :twisted:
Could you check if you're still having this problem with the latest version?
I didn't change anything in regards to that, but it does seem that Clip Mapper (0.9.6) was the thing slowing down your set, as it seems to behave normally when you delete the device.

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Could you check if you're still having this problem with the latest version?
I didn't change anything in regards to that, but it does seem that Clip Mapper (0.9.6) was the thing slowing down your set, as it seems to behave normally when you delete the device.
Hi Bjorn,

Sure. I'll have a play with it tonight again. The main problem i was having RE speed and bleeding values is now gone. There is one outstanding issue I still have, detailed below.

I was still having problems in 0.9.9.2 where if I launched normal clips that were in the same scene as clip mapped clips, then the clip mapped clip in parrallel would be initialised (although the related clip would not be visibly launched)... Reading back what i've written this probably doesn't make much sense, but in essence - The work around is to ensure non-clip mapped audio clips are kept in different scenes to clip mapped clips. This avoids 'interferance'. This problem is still also in effect in 8.1.2b7.

I'm hoping your v1.0 fixes may help here - i'll report back later tonight!

Cheers,
Sunil