Clip Mapper 1.0

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hoffman2k

Re: Clip Mapper 1.0

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm

So you're saying, if you launch a clip (nothing assigned) thats on scene 1 - track 1, it'll call up the mappings that may be stored on scene 1 - track 2?

If I got that right, that shouldn't happen. I can see problems when you fire a scene that has multiple assigned clips. But not when triggering them individually.
A small example set always helps if you can reproduce it consistently.

Another note, you can't hotswap this version for your custom audio version. Sorry about that, but I had to add the feature so it knows what type of track its on.

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:49 pm

hoffman2k wrote:So you're saying, if you launch a clip (nothing assigned) thats on scene 1 - track 1, it'll call up the mappings that may be stored on scene 1 - track 2?

If I got that right, that shouldn't happen. I can see problems when you fire a scene that has multiple assigned clips. But not when triggering them individually.
A small example set always helps if you can reproduce it consistently.
Yep, that's exactly right...

I'll re-clip-map up again, will hopefully do it tonight and let you know if I still have the same problem...

Cheers,
Sunil

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey Bjorn, thanks for sharing again.

One thing I'm noticing is that the audio doesn't seem to be passing through in the audio version. It gets muted while somehting playing. Turning off clip mapper makes the sound come back. Am I doing something wrong?

And I have a suggestion for you: It would be cool if the sets remembered the mappings when you haven't assigned the parameters to clips. For example, if there was a parameter you wanted permanently assigned to one of the knobs and so didn't want to assign that mapping to any particular clip. Currently if you don't assign the parameter to a clip, it is not recalled when opening a saved set.

cheers! :D
Professional Shark Jumper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:35 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Hey Bjorn, thanks for sharing again.

One thing I'm noticing is that the audio doesn't seem to be passing through in the audio version. It gets muted while somehting playing. Turning off clip mapper makes the sound come back. Am I doing something wrong?

And I have a suggestion for you: It would be cool if the sets remembered the mappings when you haven't assigned the parameters to clips. For example, if there was a parameter you wanted permanently assigned to one of the knobs and so didn't want to assign that mapping to any particular clip. Currently if you don't assign the parameter to a clip, it is not recalled when opening a saved set.

Woops :oops:

I fixed that: http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... .0.alp.zip

Thanks for spotting this. What has 2 thumbs and tested the device on an inactive track... This guy!

In regards to your request. In essence you want "macros" that reach to other tracks. Its a bit of a different thing to the way its programmed now.
However, if you use a Dial/Button that is not used by other clips. Then it can't be overwritten by triggering a clip. A workaround would be to have a clip with your "global" parameters and trigger that first in your set. It doesn't even have to be a clip, you can map to stop buttons too.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 pm

hoffman2k wrote:

Thanks for spotting this. What has 2 thumbs and tested the device on an inactive track... This guy!

In regards to your request. In essence you want "macros" that reach to other tracks. Its a bit of a different thing to the way its programmed now.
However, if you use a Dial/Button that is not used by other clips. Then it can't be overwritten by triggering a clip. A workaround would be to have a clip with your "global" parameters and trigger that first in your set. It doesn't even have to be a clip, you can map to stop buttons too.
Nice, new versions is working now. That was quick!

And yeah, I would do that workaround for now until I figure out how to modify it. The thing for me of course is that since I don't want different controls assigned to clips, I actually want to simplify it. My main use is a way to have knob assignments on group tracks from parameters of the devices in it's subtracks, and this is currently the only way I've found to that in Live. And I see that alone as an absolutely massive advantage for those of us who use instant mapping devices like the APC40 and want to keep our group tracks closed yet be able to access parameters within.

Quick question for you: Based on a few tests I've done, I see that when you move a track with clip mapper on it, it's assignments are lost (no big deal), however when you move a track a track that has a device with that has been learned to a clip mapper, the assignments are kept. For instance, I've got a group track and an audio clip mapper on it, with assignments to parameters on a few operators in it's subtracks. If I reorder those, the assignments are maintained. That's very cool and handy. Not sure if you know this, but the parameters assigned to clip mapper are set to default after moving though. Curious, is the fact that you can't move the clip mapper track something that live just can't deal with? (ie. no way around it?)

Cheers!

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 pm

concrete_cow wrote:I'll re-clip-map up again, will hopefully do it tonight and let you know if I still have the same problem...
Bjorn,

Looks like the same problem exists in my set still where I get interferance from unmapped clips... to be honest I don't think it's a problem with the clip mapper as it only seems to be happening to me. I'm not doing anything particularly complicated in it though, so it is wierd

It's no bother though, as i've been thinking about the glitchy record functionality using live.object and have decided to return to trusted Midi - until C74 have improved live.remote to support data recording, anyway! Found JuanSolo's 9CC-2-72CC patch which should perform the deeds via IAC - it'll still record midi changes made to itself, but it should work flawlessly after deleting the data it generates (in theory!)

I'll knock together a set which demos the problem if you like, let me know if you want to take another look...

Cheers,
Sunil

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

Nice, new versions is working now. That was quick!

And yeah, I would do that workaround for now until I figure out how to modify it. The thing for me of course is that since I don't want different controls assigned to clips, I actually want to simplify it. My main use is a way to have knob assignments on group tracks from parameters of the devices in it's subtracks, and this is currently the only way I've found to that in Live. And I see that alone as an absolutely massive advantage for those of us who use instant mapping devices like the APC40 and want to keep our group tracks closed yet be able to access parameters within.

Quick question for you: Based on a few tests I've done, I see that when you move a track with clip mapper on it, it's assignments are lost (no big deal), however when you move a track a track that has a device with that has been learned to a clip mapper, the assignments are kept. For instance, I've got a group track and an audio clip mapper on it, with assignments to parameters on a few operators in it's subtracks. If I reorder those, the assignments are maintained. That's very cool and handy. Not sure if you know this, but the parameters assigned to clip mapper are set to default after moving though. Curious, is the fact that you can't move the clip mapper track something that live just can't deal with? (ie. no way around it?)

Cheers!
Assignments are always linked to a specific track. Its the only way I could ensure one instance would not overwrite another when you use multiple of these.
If you move a device away from a track and then move it back, it should load its assignments again.
So its a design choice. The data never really gets lost, its always still there in the set to be loaded from the device. The only tradeoff is that you have to keep the clipmapper in the same place.

The fact you can move devices around is something I had to work on. Paths and ID's drove me mental for a while, but now I'm sure I got them mastered. The paths are what is saved, the ID's is what is used while using the device.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 pm

concrete_cow wrote:
concrete_cow wrote:I'll re-clip-map up again, will hopefully do it tonight and let you know if I still have the same problem...
Bjorn,

Looks like the same problem exists in my set still where I get interferance from unmapped clips... to be honest I don't think it's a problem with the clip mapper as it only seems to be happening to me. I'm not doing anything particularly complicated in it though, so it is wierd

It's no bother though, as i've been thinking about the glitchy record functionality using live.object and have decided to return to trusted Midi - until C74 have improved live.remote to support data recording, anyway! Found JuanSolo's 9CC-2-72CC patch which should perform the deeds via IAC - it'll still record midi changes made to itself, but it should work flawlessly after deleting the data it generates (in theory!)

I'll knock together a set which demos the problem if you like, let me know if you want to take another look...

Cheers,
Sunil
If you're convinced its the Clip Mapper at fault, an example set is always appreciated. All I can do is look and see if there is a problem. Not sure if you noticed, but I don't like having problems in my devices ;)

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Bjorn,

I've emailed over an example of the bug i'm seeing. No idea if it's max/live/clip mapper or my crazy set lol, but I hope you can figure it out!

Thanks again,
Sunil

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Just thought i'd pop back to say how much i'm enjoying this device, it's twisted audio madness when used to control the devices on your sends with an APC40....

Initially i thought the extra buttons were overkill but now i'm starting to see uses for them when mapped to my PadKontrol, this then begs the question, how easy would it be to add an x/y mappable control (again that can be assigned), another 8 switches and two more knobs? If it's simply copying and pasting then i'll have a crack myself....

Cheers
D

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:26 am

S4racen wrote:Just thought i'd pop back to say how much i'm enjoying this device, it's twisted audio madness when used to control the devices on your sends with an APC40....

Initially i thought the extra buttons were overkill but now i'm starting to see uses for them when mapped to my PadKontrol, this then begs the question, how easy would it be to add an x/y mappable control (again that can be assigned), another 8 switches and two more knobs? If it's simply copying and pasting then i'll have a crack myself....

Cheers
D
Why not just load up a second clip mapper in series?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 am

For those of you in search of a global device that isn't locked to clips, tracks or whatever:

http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... s.amxd.zip

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Cheers man, thanks a lot for this! Is there an audio effect version?

You know what would go perfectly in that little blank space? A midi learnable button to store a snapshot of the 16 macro positions. That way when you tweak them to a big mess you can instantly recall them to some default position with the push of a button. :wink:

And then one day I'll study how you did it and combine that with clip mapper to make the device I have in mind... :wink:
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Oh dude, I just thought of another potentially amazing use for that little blank area! Have you ever used Alchemy or NI Kore?
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

They both have that little morph square where you assign presets to the squares and then you can morph between them by moving the around in that square. If this device had a little similar box with 4 quadrants which stored 4 snapshots of the 16 macro positions and then it could be morphed between those 4 or recalled by hitting one of the four squares, that would be simply amazing. I think that one device alone would sell a lot of copies of Max for Live! It would look like this:

Just throwing ideas out there for the community, it just popped in my head that this is more than likely very possible... And it would taking the best thing about Kore and making it possible with Live devices, even ones on different tracks! 8O

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:47 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Oh dude, I just thought of another potentially amazing use for that little blank area! Have you ever used Alchemy or NI Kore?
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

They both have that little morph square where you assign presets to the squares and then you can morph between them by moving the around in that square. If this device had a little similar box with 4 quadrants which stored 4 snapshots of the 16 macro positions and then it could be morphed between those 4 or recalled by hitting one of the four squares, that would be simply amazing. I think that one device alone would sell a lot of copies of Max for Live! It would look like this:

Just throwing ideas out there for the community, it just popped in my head that this is more than likely very possible... And it would taking the best thing about Kore and making it possible with Live devices, even ones on different tracks! 8O
Disregard whatever reply you may have thought was here instead. You just imagined it :wink:

I was a bit in a "can't be arsed" mood that week. So in other words, here's the audio version of the Sixteen Macros device: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=268

In regards to your other request. 4 morphing parameters is something I really can't be arsed with at the moment. However, I do have an idea how to implement a snapshot feature and will look into that this weekend. Some of Max's objects already have parameter morphing built into them by default. So at least half of your wish will be there. If you want 4 morphing parameters, I want a mathematician! Or as it always turns out to be the case, the right object for the job. :D