Clip Mapper 1.0

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hoffman2k

Re: Clip Mapper (0.9.7) [Added Video]

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Ah neat. All I did was fix a problem I had with loading multiple instances.
Currently, every time you trigger a clip, the whole pattr/coll mess gets an update.
So you should never have issues because the data is loaded to slowly versus the loadbang going quick. There are no API calls involved here in this procedure, apart from the remotes being mapped. So it definitely feels more snappy now.

In regards to your audio device problem. You need to go into the patcher inspector and enable open in presentation. Then save the patch.
If upon closing you get prompted to save a file of sorts, then it means parameter mode isn't enabled in pattrstorage.
And lastly, you may notice I went for a scheme where Clip Mapper data is locked to a specific track and device number. Meaning you can't move Clip Mapper, but if you do so you wont lose the data. Just place it back..
In order for that not the interfere from the master, I suggest using a unique name for the $1's. "master" or "audio" will probably work.

I'll get around to that myself, but the most important thing is getting this to work properly first. I think we're almost there.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm

S4racen wrote:Great news, when this works it's fvcking incredible, i've changed the way it recalls the presets on mine so that it will only fire if the clip has changed and not if im triggering the same clip again......

Cheers
D
Good call. I don't use the change object often enough.
If you have some spare time to check if the new version works better for you, that would be much appreciated. I think I'm close to wrapping this up.
So any requests/suggestions/annoyances are appreciated now.

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Guys, unfortunately i've still got the same previous clip values overwriting the new clip values. Not sure what's causing it. It seems to become more prominant when I'm playing

Darren, has the change object function helped you with this issue?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I didnt use a change in the end, it a rather more lotech solution, i trigger a clip based on the clip you've stored firing the scene and track number into a live object, when you call fire it also fires a bang delayed by a beat to turn the switch off so the next time you fire it ends in a dead end and so doesn't trigger the clip, the switch is turned back on again if you fire a different clip....

Cheers
D

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks D. Did that fix the issue for you?

Just found another oddity. I keep the clips i use to switch mappings in a midi channel in a folder group track. If I launch a clip on one of my DJ decks that's in the same scene as one of the mapper clips, then it launches the mapper clip too! Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Cheers
Sunil

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm

No but it reduced it dramatically, i'm happyish with it at the moment because i'm using it on sends so it gives it a randomiser type effect, would be nice to have it stable though but i can see the knobs updating slowly and i imagine this is a failing of Max as the patch looks perfectly ordered to me, live api updates seem to occur in a low order so when you fire a value with a live remote whilst changing the parameter that's controlled you'll get these crossover of values issues....

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:05 am

Sorry guys, but you kinda lost me on the specifics of what is going wrong.
A small set and some steps to reproduce would help. I can fix anything if I know what is wrong.

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 am

I mapped up 0.9.7 to my existing DJ set last night. Bjorn, I'll send you a version of that tonight so you can see...

Cheers,
Sunil

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 am

concrete_cow wrote:I mapped up 0.9.7 to my existing DJ set last night. Bjorn, I'll send you a version of that tonight so you can see...

Cheers,
Sunil
Cool. I started on 0.9.8 and I can confirm its definitely compatible with already stored data. The trick is to hot-swap the old with the new.

I added the change object which made total sense. Darren lost me a little on explaining his low-tech solution. You can't get more low-tech than a single object that looks for change.

I messed a little with modifiers, but it wont be a good cross-platform solution.
So in regards to clearing the parameters, I got this in mind:

- You start with a clean slate each time you go into learn mode. If you want to add to the parameters of an existing clip, you can trigger the clip while in learn mode and work from there.

or

- A clear button appears when you go into learn mode and apart from that the behavior remains the same.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 am

Excellent, so your saying even if i trigger the same clip numerous times it'll only bang the preset in once? My solution was on the triggering of the clips to stop the triggering happening, this would be even better.....!

I'll get it updated in my version, what i've added is a send that sends through the track and scene number along with an extra box that's numbered according to send that you want the device to take control of.... this will populate a live.object so you cn then fire that clip through the live api....

Hope the values skipping eventually gets sorted, i have it with my right hand set of knobs, the only way round it i've found is to use a bpatcher and have multiple controls so you never have to change the target of the live.object....

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 am

New update (0.9.8): http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... 8.amxd.zip

- Added the change feature. Clip Mapper can now only be triggered once by the same clip. It won't update until you trigger another clip.

S4racen

Re: Clip Mapper (0.9.8) [Added Video]

Post by S4racen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am

Awesome!!

Cheers
D

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Excellent. Will hot swap the patch in and test again tonight!

Quick question RE future implementation of 'clear button' or 'clean slate'. If you trigger a clip which you want to remove mappings data from, would 'learn mode > launch clip > clear', remove all knowledge of the mappings from the clip? Therefore, launching the same clip after this has been performed would result in the previous clip's mappings remaining unchanged? Just trying to understand what the clear button would do in terms of old saved data

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Bjorn, FYI. I've just sent email with the buggy set and instructions on how to reproduce the bugs...

Cheers!
Sunil

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 am

concrete_cow wrote:Bjorn, FYI. I've just sent email with the buggy set and instructions on how to reproduce the bugs...

Cheers!
Sunil
Christ, I'm getting a glimpse of the dark side of Live with this set.
I don't have the plugins, so they're all disabled. I'm not even hearing the samples, so there shouldn't be disk overload issues.
Yet, when I trigger any clip, the whole GUI freezes for a second and then goes back to normal.
I'll have to debug the set a little before I can actually debug the device.