Max For Live: API Feature Wishlist

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
aminoplacid

Max For Live: API Feature Wishlist

Post by aminoplacid » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 am

While there is currently a Feature Wishlist section under the Live category of the board, there is nothing yet for a Max For Live Feature Wishlist. At this point, I understand that Ableton's focus is not on new features but making the application more stable which is great but I'd like to start a topic for API feature requests for M4L to keep ideas logged for the future. This is also to keep with the spirit of Gerhard's statement that they cannot build every request so they have given us access to Live via Max to realize our own ideas. With that, I hope that efforts can continue to be put into expanding the API where they might otherwise be put into developing standard features. I also get the impression that there may already be something like this that Cycling74 is using to log API requests with Ableton (as per a post from a Cycling74 member that I cannot seem to find).

So I realize this is a pretty early topic to be bringing up as it just came out but I'm putting it out there anyhow. Hopefully this might even be able to become a sticky if not a full blown section on the Max For Live category of the board.

I've posted a couple of links to some forum topics that have already begun to discuss some API requests (some are from the Python API days and some are newer):
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75974
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37812
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133179
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132662
Computer: MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM)
Peripherals: Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, Push 2, VoiceLive Touch 2, Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2, Abstrakt Instruments Avalon

aminoplacid

Re: Max For Live: API Feature Wishlist

Post by aminoplacid » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:21 pm

1. Access to the Cue Out to be able to leverage the built in cueing functions
2. Access to the browser and prelisten capabilities to be able to extend the browser prelisten functions in combination with the Cue Out.
3. Access to the warped files in the browser to be able to prelisten warped files in time in custom tools.

Perhaps more of this will come with the Serato collaboration but one can hope.
Peripherals: Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, Push 2, VoiceLive Touch 2, Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2, Abstrakt Instruments Avalon

gavspav

Post by gavspav » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 pm

- Access to filepaths of clips.

- Ability to load & move clips.

- Access to warp marker information.

Alternatively I'd like them to remove loads of features so I can actually get something finished :lol:

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Access to clip launch mode
Access to clip envelopes
access to absolute time

tassock

Post by tassock » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:03 am

gavspav wrote:- Ability to load & move clips.:
+ 1

pid

Post by pid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 am

- ability to use max for live devices whilst live is in rewire mode to another application
- midi AND audio INS and OUTS on devices
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:01 pm

tassock wrote:
gavspav wrote:- Ability to load & move clips.:
+ 1
+2

would allow to create two dummy tracks, one for all the tracks, one empty. then you could make a "load track" script, that moves it into your track A or B (which would be the dj decks), and an unload, which would move it to the empty list.

that would allow to make sure you don't play a clip twice, and create a playlist.

it would allow near-perfect dj-setups that would be very close to traktor.

so, +2
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

aminoplacid

Post by aminoplacid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I'll also tack on a better way to debug the live.* objects that only work in Live. Not being able to debug these objects in Max is a pain in the ass. :)

steff3

Post by steff3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 pm

- a LiveAPI-available loadbang in JavaScript (and possibly also in Max environment - so that one know when it is secure to access LiveAPI and get what one actually expects)

best