MIDI file player from within Max?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tomjordan

MIDI file player from within Max?

Post by tomjordan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Does anyone know of a MIDI file player that can be used within Max?

The optimum object would be one that accepts multiple files and queues them (accept new files while it is "playing" (synced to the master transport), and add the new files to the end of its queue).

It may be something that I may need to work on, but I wanted to check here first, in case it already exists..
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.

Gregory Taylor

Re: MIDI file player from within Max?

Post by Gregory Taylor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:28 pm

I think you've done a pretty good job of describing a project that would provide you with the excuse for learning some Max - especially since nearly everyone who undertook such a project would do it differently than you would. What you're describing is probably sufficiently prone to customization or being the "secret sauce" in someone's toolbox that I doubt there's something out there that someone's just going to hand of precisely the sort you describe. You can either view that as a bad thing (since it'd require an investment of time and effort on your part to make it), or a good thing (since *you're* the person who gets to make the decisions about how your specific device should and will function).

Here are the two things I'd do for starters... in fact, here are two things you should *always* do before you even ask a question about using Max for something: :D

1. Fire up Max, choose "Max Help" from the Help menu, and type in words or phrases that pertain to what you want to do (e.g. "Midi sequencing") and see where that takes you. A little link-chasing will do you a world of good.

2. Fire up your browser and head over to http://www.maxobjects.com and type those same things in *their* search box. See what the rest of the Max programming world has come up with.

3. Head over to http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php and use the "search" there to see if anyone else has been looking into doing this stuff in the Max world.

Happy hunting!
g

(psst: take a look at the Max seq object)

tomjordan

Post by tomjordan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 am

"seq" may not work for this application, since it is only 24 ppqn (48 ticks per second @ 120 bpm )
unless, that is only what it "needs" for a clock to trigger it.. does anyone know if it can play timings of a finer resolution?

I have full MIDI sequences generated by a Ruby composition environment, that are in Standard MIDI file..
I may have to create a parser object that can run through a standard MIDI file and convert the info to a seq object,
but I thought I'd check here first to see if someone has already done this..

UPDATE:
I'm doing some tests with the "seq" object.. I thought it wouldn't work for me when I first checked it out a few weeks ago, but it may do what I need it to do.. thanks, Gregory..
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.

pid

Post by pid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 am

you might also be interested in the brilliant ajm objects

http://compusition.com/web/software/maxmsp/ajm-objects
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..