[noob] A couple of basic questions.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Homebelly

[noob] A couple of basic questions.

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 am

1. Why is it that when i finish a small device and save it it appears in live a very long device?
For example, i have built a small delay that only has two sliders and three dials. I arrange them in presentation mode, but it shows up in live
as the same size device as operator.
2. How do i make it so that the cabling doesn't show up in my device?
Same device, but for some reason after i save the device the yellow audio cables and the black data cables are still visible.

Cheers.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LOFA

Re: [noob] A couple of basic questions.

Post by LOFA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 am

Homebelly wrote:1. Why is it that when i finish a small device and save it it appears in live a very long device?
For example, i have built a small delay that only has two sliders and three dials. I arrange them in presentation mode, but it shows up in live
as the same size device as operator.
Probably because it wasn't saved as open in presentation mode via the patcher inspector.
Homebelly wrote:2. How do i make it so that the cabling doesn't show up in my device?
Same device, but for some reason after i save the device the yellow audio cables and the black data cables are still visible.

Cheers.
Set it to open in presentation mode. Only what you select to be displayed will show. Command/crtl K hides things, L reveals them.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 am

Okay..
This is working, except my little tiny device still opens in a great big box :cry:
I've loaded a device that is in a smaller box to see what is different.
I have had both patch inspectors open and they both seem to have all of the same setting.

What else can i look at?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 am

do you know how to copy compressed and paste code?

if so, please pm me or post it here and I will take a look at your reason. There are a number I can think of.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 am

Nope!!

How do i do that?
Is the the idea of copying the device code from max, then pasting it into a text document?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 am

Homebelly wrote:Nope!!

How do i do that?
Is the the idea of copying the device code from max, then pasting it into a text document?
Go to the View menu -> Set device width.

Now drag the right border of your device to desired size.

.m

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 am

Okay..
this is kinda funny..
I was looking through the menu in Max for a command to help with the copy compressed and paste code thing and found a command for set device width.. :oops:

Thanks for your help though.

[edit as Lo Fi responded while my eyes were closed] Yup, stumbled on that, thanks Mr Massahkah.
Every thing is as it should be now.

Thank you both.
Last edited by Homebelly on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 am

The other thing that I was thinking was that you might just have had the devices spread far apart.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:43 am

I thought it might have been that initially...

Could you also explain how to copy and paste the code into a text document.
I did it with my little delay and got about 10 pages with about 8 lines of text on each page.

Gregory Taylor

Post by Gregory Taylor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 am

Select what you want to copy

Choose Copy Compressed from the Edit menu

Paste it into a post.

By the way - have you looked at any of the vignettes or lessons or tutorials? they answer a good deal of what you've asked already. It might save you the turnaround time for your answers....

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 am

Gregory Taylor wrote:Select what you want to copy

Choose Copy Compressed from the Edit menu

Paste it into a post.
Cheers...
Gregory Taylor wrote:By the way - have you looked at any of the vignettes or lessons or tutorials? they answer a good deal of what you've asked already. It might save you the turnaround time for your answers....
Yeah i have, its how i made my little delay. But i didn't see any thing about how to arrange live devices as such. In fact the max 4 live tutorials accessed through the live help panel direct you to a bunch of sessions to open. It from from one of these sessions that i built my delay by opening the first example and an empty patcher, and then using the help menu from Max to chose the correct objects to build my copy. I figured this would be a better way of doing things than just copy and pasting.
Once i had finished, and then realized the problems i have described here, i went looking for examples of how to set up presentation mode but couldn't find any in the max for live help or the max help. Any ways.. all figured out for now.

Cheers for every ones help.

pid

Post by pid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 am

@ Homebelly:

when you have a max device open in edit mode, there will be a max-specific set of menus up the top. in the 'help' menu there are topics called 'max help' and 'max for live'. i think (?) this is probably what gregory was refering to. the built in m4l lessons are great, but you will find more in depth max help there.

p.s. - when 'selecting everything' before choosing 'copy compressed', make sure you are in patching mode rather than presentation mode at the time.

hope that helps.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..