m4l processing MIDI *before* MIDI mappings go off?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
TomSwirly

m4l processing MIDI *before* MIDI mappings go off?

Post by TomSwirly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello again!

Sorry for all the sudden postings. I've been hidden away doing a lot of work in M4L in the last couple of months and have a lot stored.

I still have the ongoing issue that Live doesn't allow program changes in MIDI mappings and all my devices send program changes.

My "solution" right now is awful - I run my MIDI through rewire, through a tiny Max patch that translates program changes to note ons, work around a bug where Live mistriggers sometimes if note-on and note-off come in the same time packet....

This means I have to be very careful and start all these applications in the right order and it's occasionally funky. I'm sure it's not the tiny Max patch, but the whole system.

So I don't actually use it - I have my program changes hard-coded in my Max For Live patch.

What I want is some little Max For Live patch that lets me remap program changes to notes or controllers - which is trivial to write - but then I want that note on-off to be able to trigger a MIDI mapping! - and that I have no idea how to do without sending the MIDI out of Live and back again - which is what I want to avoid.

I need some way to just "drop notes in the top of Live" as if they were appearing externally - so I can assign MIDI mappings to the buttons on my controllers.

I know I can trigger events from Max For Live but that's not the same thing at all...

Or, just let me use program changes as MIDI mappings. Pleeeeze... that's all I really want - I really don't want to get rid of my old, reliable controllers just because Live doesn't handle program changes. Do note that every keyboard since the dawn of time (the Yamaha DX7 and before!) has sent program changes!

If you just let me map program changes with MIDI mappings, I'd drop my foolish desire to put in events to trigger MIDI mappings in Max for Live - I would go further and arrange the delivery of pizza or other comestibles to Ableton's Berlin office...

rawore

Re: m4l processing MIDI *before* MIDI mappings go off?

Post by rawore » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 am

+1

I was told to try and use midi-ox, when I complained about the midi link between
regular max and live, using rewire.

In my book live is non- compliant when it comes to the midi standard.

edit: ok, compliant, but awkward and truncated...

not up to the standard set by the bulk of the program