observing Launchpad focus area (red ring)?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hyaahyaa

observing Launchpad focus area (red ring)?

Post by hyaahyaa » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Poking around in matcham's very useful Live API explorer (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=125694), I figured out I could set the position of the Launchpad's focus area (the colored ring around the clips/tracks you're controlling) by sending "call set_offsets" to a live.object pointed at the launchpad's session component. I could also find its position by sending "call track_offset" and "call scene_offset", however, I couldn't find a way to tell live.observer to do it for me.

I suppose I could just make those function calls every time an arrow key was pressed, but that seems a little clunky to me. Anyone have any idea how to do this?

S4racen

Re: observing Launchpad focus area (red ring)?

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 pm

As the only way to my knowledge of moving the red box (i have an apc40) is to press the arrow button i imagine that this is the only way to bang a message to update the live.object

Thanks for finding it though, i wonder how much work i'm gonna need to change my patches so they move with the red box as currently i have lots hard wired into the fact that i use just 8 tracks, would be good to be able to move across and have more tracks....

Cheers
D

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm

that's exactly what I also found out, and - what a pitty - what I also did not find out.

I wrote a eMail to the ableton support with (funny!) exactly the same question, but they didn't answer yet. They only told me, that it isn't properly documented yet.

...So let's push them together... :)

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 pm

ring wrote:that's exactly what I also found out, and - what a pitty - what I also did not find out.

I wrote a eMail to the ableton support with (funny!) exactly the same question, but they didn't answer yet. They only told me, that it isn't properly documented yet.

...So let's push them together... :)
Any answer on this yet? I'd like to observe these offsets too and right now all I'm getting is "property cannot be listened to"

Adam YW

Post by Adam YW » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:26 am

I want to kinda do the opposite... I want to change the focus ring of my launchpad by pressing track select buttons on another controller (so when I select a track it becomes the leftmost track in the launchpad's focus ring). Ideas?

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi ShelLuser,

You're not wrong - in python one can indeed override a method to change its functionality. In this case you would need to override the _bank_left_value, _bank_right_value, _bank_up_value, and _bank_down_value methods if you want to receive notification when the red ring is moved by a control surface (perhaps via a new method which might be called "on_session_highlight_moved" or something similar). The LiveAPI does not provide a red ring position listener, which means that the only other choice is to poll for changes to the track_offset and scene_offset variables. Of course, moving the red ring involves calling set_offsets, which essentially sets these last two variables to new values.

on_scene_list_changed, on_selected_scene_changed, on_selected_track_changed, and on_track_list_changed are ControlSurfaceComponent notification methods, which are meant to be overridden by child components - basically allowing a script to take action when the session state changes. link_with_track_offset is used to "link" SessionComponents from two or more control surfaces (known as "combination mode" and currently only offically used for the APC20/APC40).

Don't know if any of this is helpful or not, but there it is , from a python framework script point-of-view (which is where it all starts).

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

akaratz

Post by akaratz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey guys!
This topic is quite old, but he treats about a question which stays unresolved.

So, does someone has an idea how to move the "red ring" with MFL, bypassing the py control surface scripts.

I use a Novation Launchpad and I have a second "blue ring", 4x4 matrix, connected to a external keypad. Moving the second is easy, but moving the Launchpad one, unless recode some parts of the CS scripts (first I must decompile them :x ) seems impossible, even with a complex midi message transcription.

I passed few hours with the Live API Explorer, putting random values on random places, no success.

So, does someone discovered hot to achieve that? - Moving around and getting the relative position of the "rings"?

Please, I'm a Newbi in MFL, so be patient :)

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:07 pm

It requires some hot-rodding of the py scripts in order to do what you want....it can be accomplished with a combination of m4l and custom _Framework scripts, but the _Framework does not support it 'out of the box'.

a
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:02 am

does anyone know how to move the red box with Push?