Should I buy Max AND MaxFor Live for $350?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Zeddy

Should I buy Max AND MaxFor Live for $350?

Post by Zeddy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 am

I am currently a student and am able to purchase a full suite of Max/MSP and Jitter for $250. Then I can upgrade to MaxForLive for another $100, taking the total price to $350, which is just $50 more than buying MaxForLive on its own. I'm really only really wanting to use MaxForLive currently and try out patches other people have made..... I probably wont really get into making my own patches for quite awhile. Would it be a smart investment or is M4L all anyone really needs right now.

dtlj

Re: Should I buy Max AND MaxFor Live for $350?

Post by dtlj » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 am

well

if you buy maxforlive, anything you make in it you can open up in maxruntime(free)
so even though a patch you are working on in live wont necessarily work in live, it will work in runtime, even msp/jitter patches, so i hear

it sucks because you cant get the instant test of your patch but it does cut the price down a little

ps
all credit to zalo, i dont actually have m4l

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Yes. You should. Do not even consider any other options.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:29 pm

LOFA wrote:Yes. You should.
+1

pid

Post by pid » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:19 am

as opposed to the other posters, lofa and prebentious know what they are talking about, and so do i. you will kick yourself in the future if you do not take advantage of the situation you are in now and get the whole caboodle.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Funny how people who are quick to label themselves as "knowing better" usually never bother to elaborate on their opinion thus resulting in a post like "yes, because I say so"...
I don't believe you directed your statement directly at me but I realize the style of delivery in my post came across more dramatic than effective. So, I will politely disagree with the following statement as a means of developing my perspective:
ShelLuser wrote:...Right, having said that I still stand by my previous comment. But that's only because I personally wouldn't pay $ 50,- for something I don't really need and would most likely never really use, and I can well imagine that others might think the same way. Since you already stated that your goal is basically using pre-made patches; well.. Max offers a freely usable runtime, so you don't need to invest if you want to use other people's Max patches.

Max for Live on the other hand doesn't have such a mechanism; so in order to use M4L patches you do need to have a full version. That is basically the main difference for an end-user.
Although your arguments are valid, it is imo far too good of a deal to pass up.

I have found that having both at my disposal gives me the option of porting over whatever the hell I feel like from the max world into live. I am not no sure that the same can be said for someone who only has the option of building .axmd files. The reason I don't know is because having both licenses, I have not come across this obstacle. Is there one?

I do know that not having full Jitter functionality while in edit mode would piss me off big-time.

pid

Post by pid » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 pm

yes, +1 to lofa.

AND, for the record, i guess i was trying to be a little bit funny. maybe my humour is all wrong.

on the flip side, i do not believe for one second that anyone who gives max the time of day won't be having it totally blow their mind. for me it took about two years because i am slow, for others it takes a week. if you get max4live just for using content and others' .amxd's you are kidding yourself (remember, it is NOT reaktor) AND you will find yourself getting into it all pretty quick, and after that you will be yearning for full functionality and jitter uncrippled (remember, jitter = a lot more than just 'video').

this opinion is from a user, not an onlooker, and is in response to a specific cool financial situation question that was asked, not a polemic on max.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 am

yes ....i did :P if you use max and /or live alot then its a no brainer
Peace + Hugs

Brian