Encapsulate but still show presentation controls ?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Mr-Bit

Encapsulate but still show presentation controls ?

Post by Mr-Bit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:56 pm

noob alert!

Is there a way to make a patcher show selected items in presentation mode ? Bpatcher seems to offer a solution I was just wondering if there is other ways.I could have inlets for these controls but that seems messy.

Bit

S4racen

Re: Encapsulate but still show presentation controls ?

Post by S4racen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Bit....

You could use send and receive to get the information into the bpatcher.... if the object looks like s ---info and r ---info then the three --- mean the send and receive only occurs within the patch that they are written and not across all patches creating possible conflicts with multiple sends....

Cheers
D

emmanuel_2

Post by emmanuel_2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:23 pm

S4racen wrote:Hi Bit....

You could use send and receive to get the information into the bpatcher.... if the object looks like s ---info and r ---info then the three --- mean the send and receive only occurs within the patch that they are written and not across all patches creating possible conflicts with multiple sends....
bpatcher is the way to go. That's what we do (using embed bpatchers) in StepSeq and LoopShifter for instance.
ej

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks S4 for the s--- , r--- info. I didn't realise they were global(hmmmm interesting).

emmanuel_2 Thanks for confirming B patchers are the way to go,

Time for some reading methinks....

andrewbenson

Post by andrewbenson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:43 pm

There are also some clever tricks you can do with pattr-family objects, live. objects, and live.param~ with a little extra hunting. Maybe I need to come up with an example...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm

andrewbenson wrote:There are also some clever tricks you can do with pattr-family objects, live. objects, and live.param~ with a little extra hunting. Maybe I need to come up with an example...
I've been wondering about that. With live.remote~ and live.param~ being sample accurate, does that mean you can share MSP signals between devices with the same result of having 2 MSP objects inside a single device?

Is the result of whatever live.param~ is monitoring that same for all instances with the same ID?

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Something you may want to look at is using the standard object display controls to make UI appear and dissappear at appropriate times...using the message 'hidden 1' and 'hidden 0' to dynamically hide and show the locked ui: check it out on any UI object!!

also within bpatchers, you can dynamically shift what area of the enclosed patcher's window appears in the bpatcher window, thereby exposing and hiding large groups of controls dynamically...
Lots of ways to show and hide controls to keep things cleaned up...

SUMMATION: if you have controls in a patcher and want them shown in the parent patcher, use bpatcher, for sure. Check out the inspector: 'embed in patcher' is important to understand....

Hey, everybody, I am totally noticing the reference pages in maxMsp give a whole new level to the docs available online: almost everything you might want to do is covered somewhere in the docs...keep looking! (I tell myself!!!!)
YMMV,
L&K
J2K

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 pm

[quote hoffman2k]Is the result of whatever live.param~ is monitoring that same for all instances with the same ID?[/quote]

Welllll.... they may have the same name/id, but they will have a different path if they are in a different device,they will have a different id if they are in same device...so, uh, no, as far as I understand your query, :)

YMMV
L&K
J2K

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 pm

josquin2000 wrote:
Welllll.... they may have the same name/id, but they will have a different path if they are in a different device,they will have a different id if they are in same device...so, uh, no, as far as I understand your query, :)

YMMV
L&K
J2K
live.param~ would be monitoring an ID, so it doesn't really matter which device and where. The question is, can multiple live.param~'s across multiple devices monitor a single parameter at sample accuracy?