Closebang!!

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Markemark

Closebang!!

Post by Markemark » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 am

Does this work in m4l? I've used it several times to reset controller button's/knobs back to there default states when the patch is deleted from the live set, but it never works, the button's/knobs continue to be disabled.

Note, even the CS step sequencer uses this for the metronome button that is disabled when the patch is in use, but when you remove the patch your metronome button is still disabled, closebang does not re-enable its default state.

sacredgeometry

Re: Closebang!!

Post by sacredgeometry » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 am

im not sure ... why not just use a load bang to set the controls though...i know that works
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:01 am

sacredgeometry wrote:im not sure ... why not just use a load bang to set the controls though...i know that works
My original post might not explain the problem, let me try again.
The apc40 metronome button controls the metronome on/off of live by default. When you load the patch cs sequencer it uses the metronome button to switch on/off the sequencer now, and will have no effect on lives metronome. When you remove the patch you would expect the button to again control lives metronome on/off, it does not! If you look in the patch they use a closebang that is suppose to re-enable the button on close of the patch.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:12 am

freebang

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Surreal wrote:freebang
I just changed closebang to freebang in the cs sequencer, no change :(

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 am

really? man. i used it in early versions of clipnome...i swear it did what you are talking about.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:06 am

ShelLuser wrote:For this usage you want closebang, not freebang IMO. freebang might look the same but its not; it only sends a bang when all encapsulating instances are closed. So in fact; its more restrictive than closebang. Then again; if you're working with encapsulation (sub patches) then freebang might become more suitable than closebang ofcourse.

As to the original question: closebang and freebang work excellent in M4L.

As to whats going on: impossible to tell without seeing the patch.
Just look at the included cs sequencer patch. It has this problem and is from the developers.

pid

Post by pid » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 am

i cannot comment on the cs stepsequencer, but i was testing this issue myself the other day funnily enough...

in Max for Live:

so, it seems FIRST instantiation of device reports a [loadbang], BUT, if you MOVE the device to a different track, NO loadbang OR [freebang] BUT a [closebang]. AND, [closebang] is ALSO reported when clicking away from the track on which the device sits (this all assumes the [closebang] is in the top-level patcher of course).

[freebang] ONLY works when DELETING a device, and closebang works as expected when deleting.

[active] is strange - no effect when first instantiating a device or moving it, but basically reports when the device is in focus (clicked on with the mouse) or not - 1 if clicked on device (not track / etc), 0 if clicked away from device (but only after first clicking ON device). ALSO, NO active 1 message when clicking on the Live 'title bar' - only on the actual mfl patch window space.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 pm

pid wrote:i cannot comment on the cs stepsequencer, but i was testing this issue myself the other day funnily enough...

in Max for Live:

so, it seems FIRST instantiation of device reports a [loadbang], BUT, if you MOVE the device to a different track, NO loadbang OR [freebang] BUT a [closebang]. AND, [closebang] is ALSO reported when clicking away from the track on which the device sits (this all assumes the [closebang] is in the top-level patcher of course).

[freebang] ONLY works when DELETING a device, and closebang works as expected when deleting.

[active] is strange - no effect when first instantiating a device or moving it, but basically reports when the device is in focus (clicked on with the mouse) or not - 1 if clicked on device (not track / etc), 0 if clicked away from device (but only after first clicking ON device). ALSO, NO active 1 message when clicking on the Live 'title bar' - only on the actual mfl patch window space.
Ok, thanks to your info, I have moved my closebang from the encapsulated patches to the main patch and inlet it to the encapsulated patches. Now when you close the patch the bang is received properly by the encapsulated. Downside is like you've tested this bang is also received when you click away from the device, and this is not desired. I tried just using freebangs in the encapsulated patches and this does not bang when the patch is closed. So I'm out of options to make this work. I just want a bang on close of the patch to the encapsulated(no bangs on/off focus).

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:23 pm

If you have your patch on a certain track why should "closebang" bang when you focus on another track? It should only bang when you close the patch(delete/remove). Isn't that why we have "active"?
If you MOVE the patch to another track this makes sense, because in essence your(deleting/removing) from the previous track.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:26 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Markemark wrote:I tried just using freebangs in the encapsulated patches and this does not bang when the patch is closed.
Yes it does (in the cs step sequencer anyway).

How did you test this? If you simply looked at the main Max window you might not have seen it bang. Check the patch runtime (the one with the zillion errors) instead.
Yes, thanks Pete, I right clicked on the patch title bar in live and opened up that max print window, this will let you observe prints when the patch is in live, the other max print only let's you observe while your editing the patch, BIG difference in trouble shooting the actual behavior after you've returned the patch back to live, now a see all that "pid" is talking about!! 8O