js: device parameter units? appointed device listener?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
amounra93

Re: js: device parameter units? appointed device listener?

Post by amounra93 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 am

Thanks for the patch, andrew. I can't get it to work, but I know what its supposed to do, and yes, that is basically what I'm after.

I can't get it to work, though, and by looking at it, I don't see how it could.

[route parameters] is connected to a [zl group 2], but if you try out the patch I posted, you'll see that the parameters aren't necessarily grouped in 2's. Sometimes they a single parameter value will encompass only one list item, but others there will be two, and sometimes three (if the property name is split by a " ").

I'm wondering if perhaps the behaviour of the "get parameters" return value has changed since you made this patch? Or am I missing something about this whole thing?

Thanks for your response, I really do appreciate the interest. This is one of the last things I am trying to accomplish before I can release the patch I'm working on. It's basically just reinventing the Remote25SL Control Script, but incorporates MIDI assignment through Live, OSC calls to functions, Nocturn Support, and psuedo-parameter lock functionality. Anyway. TMI probably.
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 am

ok, if you can't get that patch to work in the context of any Live set then please may I see the Live set?

That thing ought to be able to navigate around to any device and listen and modulate its params.

Please send me more details, off list if necessary

-A

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:41 am

Groovy. I'll have to package up some stuff, but I'll send it your way shortly.

Cheers :)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm

So did you guys figure out how to get the unit names? Like -st, %, Hz, etc..
I know its somewhere, as Mackie and novation controllers can get that info over Sysex.
Haven't found it in the M4L API documentation, though its possible I read over it.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey Hoff,

It's kind of a hack. I can't remmy the exact calls, but the short of it is this:

You have to hijack part of the control_surfaces script. Its not available yet through the live_set (but it should be, since I'm able to get it elsewhere). I got it from the APC40 control script somehow....I'll try to take a look at it later when I get home. Or you can take apart the script for my MonomodAPC40 javascript....its in there.

I think the only way to do it currently is to build your own Python script and use this as a device controller. When I finish what I'm doing now, I'm probably going to work on this. Or, maybe, Abes/Cycling will make this available to us (as it really is pretty essential).

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm

That is what I feared.
I've been doing most of my work from the comfort zone of live_set paths. Haven't really dug into the control surfaces apart from a bit of launchpad tinkering.
I'll send a mail to Cycling to see if this might be possible to implement.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm

You have my full support ;) Although, honestly, I think a Python script is probably more efficient/powerful for this sort of thing than the m4l stuff alone. I'm interested to make a comparison when I get around to porting things from my current live_path methods over to the control_surface ones.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:14 am

I've come up with a way to do this....but it 'aint easy. I'm going to try to publish a javascript that does all the work for you, but it does require the use of a Python script for the control surface. Stay tuned....