So just got max 4 live

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
nebulae

So just got max 4 live

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 pm

suggestions on the best way to get started? tutorials? deconstruct easy patches? what do ya think?

Bagatell

Re: So just got max 4 live

Post by Bagatell » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:15 pm

nebulae wrote:suggestions on the best way to get started? tutorials? deconstruct easy patches? what do ya think?
Stop posting on forums and RTFM..

You and me both :wink:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 pm

ha, I thought there wasn't a man :lol:

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Nebulae, I thought of you while I was changing flights in Houston en route to Mexico City . It's cool that you are finally on board with M4L.

The max tutorials are the most important. Forget about making music for an evening. Just do them long enough until you can feel your brain stretching like a stomach on thanksgiving. Eventually it will bite you and you will be hooked. Until you are hooked learning will be a chore, but with an open mind and the power to let some things go until you come back to them, you will get into this majorly.

I strongly feel that going through all the tutorials and then repeating them is essential. You can try to get everything the first time but agonizing over little things will kill your buzz, and often a later tutorial will explain the problem through context.

Ask specific questions and you will either solve them on your own before pushing send, or 1/5 people will have something useful to add. Fuck the haters. I still don't get the resistance to flood the internets with answers to these questions.

Best of luck.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 pm

The api is extremely frustrating to learn. The documentation is a joke. Rely on frustrated posts and the max reference to solve this. Neither Cycling nor Ableton have done what is necessary for the newer user-base to get by with this.

I would concentrate on learning the max end of things for now. That is what I meant by the tutorials. The (maxfor)live tutorials should be considered dessert.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 pm

Peter-

This has to be nominated as MOST HELPFUL POST OF THE YEAR! Thank you so much...Great info!

The LOM takes me back to my software development days...I haven't been that technical in ages. Should be fun.

Thanks again.

-Nebs

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:43 pm

LOFA, next time you're nearby, gimme a call or email me and I'll try to meet up with you.

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to learning this...though not till AFTER my gig on Friday 3/19 in Austin. Till then, likely will use the presets to fart around :)

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 am

i think my most useful pages in the manual are "max/msp objects by function" (there's one page for each). whenever i'm thinking "how do i do......" i load up that and read. can usually find the answer easily for most things. and i'm not sure reading the tutorials will give you a complete picture. by all means go through them (yes you should do that at least once), but when i learned to program, i never learned the languages by copying examples, always through problem solving.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

^ so this is on the Max manual, right?

Gregory Taylor

Post by Gregory Taylor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Help > Max Help > (the links in the shaded box on the right)

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 pm

yeah sure.
it's on the first page when going to max help.
you can even view it online:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignette ... intro.html

on the right you can see "max objets by function", or "msp objects by function"
(or even jitter, if you're hard-core)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:54 pm

very good, thank you, gentlemen

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:21 pm

until you start learning to program have fun testing out the stuff on maxforlive.com.

I actually had great fun the other night using the rozzer-step-sequencer. (http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=231).

There is also some stunning stuff hidden somewhere in the live lessons. A video-theremin for example!!!.

If you open the patches from the live-library or lessons and then unlock them, then you will see a lot of helpful documentation.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:31 pm

I still suggest doing all of the max tutorials followed by the mfl ones. The msp/jitter ones would come next, depending on how hard you decided to get into it.

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 pm

LOFA wrote:I still suggest doing all of the max tutorials followed by the mfl ones. The msp/jitter ones would come next, depending on how hard you decided to get into it.
yeah sure, the tuts are great.
everyone should go through them at least once,
they give a great overview of how things are done.

but i put it to anyone,
the only way to learn any programming language (and max/msp is one of those), is to do what you want, and consult the "api" of the requisite language to achieve that goal. no-one learned calculus by reading a bunch of formulas, and no-one learned to program by reading a bunch of code. sorry if this sounds obdurate, but thats the way i feel,

practice makes perfect,,