Learning Jitter with M4L only

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
toscanini

Learning Jitter with M4L only

Post by toscanini » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 pm

...so from what I understand learning the useful bits of Jitter if you only own a M4L license can be a PITA, since we cannot take advantage of the tutorials, and so on.
But it's been almost 6 months now, so are there any surviving strategies? I'd love to be able to do some basic movie processing outside of the imovie object. (because I don't only have .mov files on my drive and other pathetic reasons like that)
It seems like it is perfectly possible to work with Jitter within M4L if you already KNOW what you are doing. Especially once you lock your Live devices. Which logically means Jitter can be learned inside Live, it might just need an adapted approach.

Are there some braves out there with stuff to share? Jitter tutorials adapted to M4L users?
Not trying to be cheap or inappropriate... But I definitely don't have 700$ (or whatever would be my discount since I own M4L) to buy a full version right now.

...and some basic image processing has always been part of the M4L deal...

LOFA

Re: Learning Jitter with M4L only

Post by LOFA » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Seems only reasonable that there would be some incentive for m4l users to buy into the whole max/msp package. For this reason I almost think it would be questionable to do what you are asking. Are the help files really disabled though? I understand that you can't playback the things on jit.windows/jit.pwindows but if you copy their guts and paste them into a M4L device, the tutorial patches should work. So long as they are not being played back in edit mode.

Give it a shot. If you need more clarification please ask. I think this ought to work but I am just assuming. I own Jitter so I can't test.

toscanini

Re: Learning Jitter with M4L only

Post by toscanini » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yep, this is a real good start and perfectly answers my question.
I guess I'll end up having some problems squeezing the structures into the live device box as the patches grow and get more complex :wink:
But in the meantime I can take advantage of those elegant tutorials.
cheers,
toscanini