Is Javascript the bee's knees for sound programming in Live?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
maxforlive

Is Javascript the bee's knees for sound programming in Live?

Post by maxforlive » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:09 am

Is it worth learning only for max patching? I am not a web designer

julienb

Re: Is Javascript the bee's knees for sound programming in Live?

Post by julienb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am

maxforlive wrote:Is it worth learning only for max patching? I am not a web designer
for instance, JS provides the clip control & feedback of the protodeck.
so I cannot say it is unuseful !!!
:D
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gregory Taylor

Post by Gregory Taylor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 am

For certain tasks well beyond the circle of what I'd consider basic fluency, it's a great tool. But I'm one of those awful people who's immediately suspicious of superlatives and thinks that the tool should match the task.

The amount of things you can do in Max for Live without going anywhere near the core Javascript functionality (ask Mr. Henke....) is completely stupefying. I'd start there.

Your mileage may vary, of course :-)

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:44 am

Gregory Taylor wrote:For certain tasks well beyond the circle of what I'd consider basic fluency, it's a great tool. But I'm one of those awful people who's immediately suspicious of superlatives and thinks that the tool should match the task.

The amount of things you can do in Max for Live without going anywhere near the core Javascript functionality (ask Mr. Henke....) is completely stupefying. I'd start there.

Your mileage may vary, of course :-)
+1

only by patching, you can rules the world :mrgreen:
(really)
Julien Bayle

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Why focus on javascript alone? ;-)

Max knows 2 different objects for easy extension; js for javascript and mxj for java.

And I know of some external projects which enhance the use of c/c++ code in Max.

So I wouldn't focus on a single language, just pick something which best suits your needs or capabilities.

+1

about external, I'd be VERY curious to benchmark my clip grid handler module in JS vs in external C...
I mean, I should test it
Julien Bayle