Cash for programming

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
oberflaechlich

Cash for programming

Post by oberflaechlich » Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 am

Its a launchpad,m4l device. Here's a ghetto manual-DDDD: http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/39661264/Downloads
Any suggestions? More explanation here: http://mattnasty.com/2010/05/30/dddd-ma ... launchpad/

Surreal

Re: Cash for programming

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 3:39 am

are you saying you would pay for a sequencing program? would you require that it interface like maschine? or would a 'good sequencer built around the launchpad' suffice?

cause i can make a good sequencer around the launchpad, i simply don't own one. but if you require that it work like maschine...that is a different story. never used maschine, don't know how it works.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 3:58 am

huhn.

just had a look at your manual. a few things come to mind.

1check out peter's work on the monome forum. he made an mpc emulator. npc

2. this is all my opinion, but you are trying to emulate something that exists in hardware on different hardware made with a different function in mind. maschine, from what i have read (and i just watched a tutorial...nice), is very well thought out--both the hardware and the software. you forfeit the benefits of the 8x8 grid here to attempt to gain functions of maschine. ... i should just leave it at 'i don't know if buying maschine isn't the better idea'
Last edited by Surreal on Mon May 31, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 am

He also posted this.
oberflaechlich wrote:http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=143704 its a launchpad idea. it doesnt exist yet. check the title of the link too. cash offered for builders.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 am

that...is this.

is that a quote from another thread?

mo0kid

Post by mo0kid » Mon May 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Ah, I see. Not only does he want someone else to code this thing he wants some else to pay for it as well.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 12:53 pm

yeah, it's funny, i had to cut half of my response because i thought it was a little too negative. this just seems like a bad idea. i really think you should buy maschine if maschine is what you want.

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Mon May 31, 2010 5:11 pm

thanks for the feedback surreal! yes i'd pay for a good sequencer, but the maschine interface is far preferential(more of the step sequencer side, less of the mpc). the top right quadrant of my design is what would be important regarding the interface. paging of sequences takes the launchpad well beyond an 8x8 grid. owning a maschine is the better choice for sure, but if this could work on the launchpad,that would be very convenient.i will however heed your advice and just buy a maschine. all kinds of hardware try and emulate other hardware all of the time(mics, compressors, pre's, mixers,etc. jomox for a specific example)

and mo0kid, someone else codes it...i'd pay for it solo. dunno how that confusion came about. it would even be better if other people pool money for the sake of the coder. if 20 people spend $200, thats $4000 for the coder. those numbers are arbitrary sort of. Group financing is always more efficient, hence GmbH's, AG, and incs exist.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 pm

Ok, have you looked at monome patches?

monoMIDI
Sevenuplive
velocity
gs.clipstep

monoMidi and clipstep sequence right in the clip...so you are not limited to 8 steps. i can't speak for the others, but 16 seems to be a number us monomers like.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon May 31, 2010 6:11 pm

well here is my self serving proposition. just so i can say i put it out there. given a launchpad and a little money to carve out the time, i could make a sequencer that would function in clips and would be built around the launchpad. but see, i have no launchpad ;-)

phattline

Post by phattline » Mon May 31, 2010 8:43 pm

hmm swing faktor is a cool idea! (muss i ma merkn :twisted: )
but the design is imho to limited- the idea is to "machine like" a 4x4 grid for drumstepsequence?... I just have not enough with a 8x13 to see @ once (Without pageswitching) -that are 13 Instruments @ once and every instrument 8 Steps (APC and LP together...or lp and annother lp togehter) but 4x4?
I would take the Buttons around the Matrix to controll things - and the full Matrix should act stepsequencer...maybe with switching between USERMODE 1 & 2 you could make a advanced Editmode of the matrixbuttons...

but ok that are my impressions...and my needings...since i have a apc and a launchpad, i have optimized my patch for those together - i play livejams and livegigs...optimized for jaming :D (a apc and some patches is a great big phat drumsequencer...with a launchpad to see all instruments @ once as extension it is most phat...)
You can download my device @ http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=100

only the V2 version is up to date and had many stable liveacts behind it: (the other designs i dont use currently, so sorry no update for this)
V2
http://www.phatline.at/m4l/CLIP-SQ-V2.9-APC&LP.amxd
works only with a APC & a LP, it only works if you have twice!

(ah and I have not the time to program you a machine like patch... since i wouldnot need this device-and so not my heart would beat in it....and since this would take to much time... in this time i earn my money to pay the rent the food the gas and so on :lol: for one month :wink: )

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:07 am

yes the monome seems to have the best apps designed for it, 16 being the key. launchpad is hung up on resolution of 8, but can clearly be taken beyond that. 1/8ths get boring. ive almost completed a sequencer using bomes via clips, but that is another thing i wanted to avoid. clips can only have one groove, and multiple clips end up taking up too much real estate. asimple 8x8 sequencer can be made with blip2000(an 8x8 segment selected), then a rack on on another midi channel to receive the notes. configure the selected 64 blocks on the blip to be midi parameters, then map them to the corresponding buttons on the launchpad. you can put different drum racks as chains on the receiving channel and use the round buttons with triangles on the launchpad to select the chain. 8x8 step sequencer, with 8 sample kits to choose from. and its free if a launchpad is owned. or you could just build one with racks and clips, but blip makes it way easier. no m4l needed.

i'd def love to get you a launchpad and cash for building something surreal, but it seems we have a different vision on this project. however, if something else pops into my head that suits your expertise, you'll be the first one to know. after all, helping someone with something in live is how i got my launchpad. and i ordered a maschine.

and phattline-geile geraete auf deiner webseite! morgen downloade ich v2. heute ist moog filterd ale geliefert worden. mmm. lecker.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 am

I have no idea about monoMIDI, but gs.clipstep, which i built, scales. you can use it with a 64x64 grid if you have it. also, the resolution is variable, as is note length.

honestly, the launchpad app i would have made would have been a variant of clipstep that simply took advantage of the extra buttons that the launchpad has and minus a few monomecentric subpatches.

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 am

thats one thing i love about the lpad, the extra buttons, whereas a monome is octa/hexdec divisible length and width. interface-wise, they(extra buttons) dont blend with the grid which is aesthetically convenient. let me see if i can mentally adapt it to something i find practical. gonna let it stew in my gray matter.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 am

let me rephrase then, you can pick any int between 8 and ...some big int, for width. height should be at least 2. (1 for controls.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cK-nM8flA