Monomodular Thread (b994: Max6 Compatibility)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
amounra93

Re: Monomod Thread (b932, Monotes)

Post by amounra93 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Cool :) Hope you like it, lemme know how you get on.

Monomodular is up to version b94 now, and will support the Livid Ohm64 when I make the next major beta release. I don't update much here these days, but you can stay abreast of current versions and changes at my blogsite, see my signature.

Cheers :)
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

hgt

Post by hgt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:03 pm

hi there aum.ha,
support for the vivd ohm64, will it be as well for the vivd block? i am running touchable on an ipad, would you rather run monomod from a secondary ipad or from a vivid block if there is allready one ipad interacting with live? i have not tested monomod so far but it looks very nice! is there a video with it running 8 clients from an ipad somewhere? keep up the great work, will post test impression soon,
cheers, g
gee hgt

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:32 am

Livid was gracious enough to send me an Ohm64 to write the custom Python script for Ableton. Its currently in beta, but should be released in some form or another in the next week or so (I've been too busy up until now to complete the details). Its completely functional as a Monomod controller, although I need to spend a little time tuning the patches and recompiling everything before it can be released.

I don't own a Block controller (or an Ohm64 for that matter, as the one I have is currently on loan): essentially, you could use the editor to reassign the controls of the Block to simulate the Ohm64 and get some of the functionality of the native control script (and this would also give you access to the Monomodular functionality). However, I'd prefer to write a custom script for the Block that would provide better ergonomics and make the best use of the controllers layout. Since I've already done most of the work with the Python script for the Ohm, I don't imagine it would be very hard to hammer out a working script in a couple of days or so, although the integration with Monomodular might take a bit longer. I'll talk with Peter about this and see if its a possibility to get my hands on one, as I'm willing to do the work, but first I have to publish the scripts for the Ohm64 I've been working on.

I don't currently have any video of Monomodular aside from the Plinko demos linked on my blog, but I've recently acquired some time off from other obligations, so I'll be spending the next few weeks doing some coding and (time permitting) documentation of things already completed. Monomod is definitely in great need of documentation; its not a simple concept to figure out from merely reading a short readme file. Stay tuned, and drop me an email with your address, and I'll include you on future updates. There are a few exciting things coming down the pipeline for Monomod.

As far as running multiple hosts, that's no problem with Monomodular. I've ran up to 4 different controllers, each with its own Monomod plugin host, controlling up to 12 or 13 plugins spread across them. You can also use multiple instances of the same controller (if you wanted, for instance, to use 2 iPad's with the same Live set via Monomodular). I've never tried to perform this way, but for testing purposes it worked fine. I regularly run 2 controllers at once, and generally always have at least 8 clients connected. For instance, my current Live set session has been running for 4 days without any problems (I'm kinda lazy...I always forget to restart my computer when I get busy). I get the occassional crash here and there, but generally only when I do something stupid that I know I shouldn't be doing.

Drop me some mail, and I can add you to the beta list if you want. Do you already have a Block? I'd be interested to know if you can get it working with the Ohm64 patches by changing your current MIDI assignments...

Cheers, and thanks for the interest :)

a

hgt

Post by hgt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:33 pm

hi aum.ha,
just to let you know, i am following your blog and am really eager to see the new build of monmod. :idea:
i put up a thread to discuss controller scripts here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155075
best,
gee hgt

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey there hgt,

I've been crawling towards a new release of the MonOhmod stuff (for the Ohm64) for a couple of months now. If you've been following the blog, you probably already know that there are going to be some cool new features added to the Remote_Script to allow back-end access to the same functionality that the controller is able to use. I'm very excited about this, but thus far haven't had time to implement it into the TouchOSC script. Its been a while since I've worked on any m4l stuff, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

I'm just finishing up the final beta version of the Ohm64 script, and I'm hoping to be able to publish it tomorrow.

You can probably expect a new version of the Monomodular suite in the next month, although one never knows what problems will arise when trying to implement new a framework. All in all, the new Monomodular should be much more stable, much faster, and much less processor intensive. The next version should be either b99 or 1.0, depending on how straight-forward the process of porting everything over to Python becomes.

I am about to release the final beta version of the script to the beta-testers for (hopefully) the final round of testing, and I'll post a video of how the script works with the new version. If I don't already have your info and you're interested in testing the Livid script with a Block, send me your addy and I'll add you to the group.

Thanks for the interest, its good to hear about outside interest for this stuff. I'd be doing it regardless for my own ends, but I definitely like it when others can benefit from my work. Also, thanks for the link to the other topic, as I rarely look at any of the other forum's than this one.

a

Friedrich

Monomod (b94)

Post by Friedrich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Am starting to pull out my hair: monomod & children worked beautifully. All of a sudden: whatever Monomod module I load in Live, I get a total freeze and have to close the program.

Could it be that updating Itunes changed something in Bonjour, causing all this ?
Has anybody else experienced the same / any idea in what direction I should search ?

I am on XP by the way.

Thanks!

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:51 pm

ewwweee. That doesn't sound nice. Not being an XP user, it'll be hard for me to help you isolate the cause, but first things first: can you dig up a crash log for this? If you suspect bonjour as the source of the problem, you can just remove the external from your Max library and the plugs will still function correctly. What version's of Max/Live are you using?

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:43 pm

@amounra93
I'm using all the latest versions. Thanks, removing the external is one of the few things I did not try yet!
I'll be back ;-)

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

@amounra93

No luck, I:
-removed the oscbonjour external
-reinstalled Live
-uninstalled / reinstalled Max 5.1.7
-redownloaded / reinstalled the Monomod suite

All other M4L apps are working, as soon as I drag Monomod / 1 of the suite apps in a track Live still freezes & I have to force shut the program.
I already sent a bug report pack to Ableton.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:47 pm

I think that the most recent version of Max I've tested Monomod with is 5.17 (that's what I have installed on my dev machine right now....kind of behind the times version wise because I haven't had time for coding anything new lately)....has this behavior started since you upgraded to 5.17?

Also, a crash.log file would be very handy to diagnose what is happening...I have a suspicion it may have something to do with changes to something with Javascript or pattr, but I need more info about the crash circumstances from you. Also, if you are getting any messages in the Max window when you load my patches, that would be useful in seeing how far things get internally before the crash.

a

p.s. for the record, I haven't had a single report of this exact behavior from anyone using Monomod....any instances of crashing/freezing have been intermittent, and I think most of that sort of thing was dealt with in earlier versions of the beta. I'm not sure what this is, but I'd love to get to the bottom of it.

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Mmm, must be my system then. When I start Monomod nothing comes up in the Max window (it doesn't even come to that)
Just tried to install Max 5.1.6 again, but results are the same.

I am not too experienced with crashlogs, but think I have managed to save something using Dr Watson; I'll PM that to you.
Thanks for your help sofar man !

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Took a look at what you sent me....not really telling me anything, to be honest. I think there might be some other files with better info, I'll look into it.

Are you running WIn7 64bit? I have had one user having specific problems (but not identical) related to running the 64 bit version, I think. Sorry I'm not more windows savvy....

a

Friedrich

Post by Friedrich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks man, don' t lose to much time on this, it must be something specific to my system. In think I recently updated Java, I'll try to check that as well. XP 32 it is, by the way

hgt

Post by hgt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

how far is the current build? will it support livid block? can i delete the 'live' page on the touchosc layout without hurting funcionality?
monomod!
gee hgt

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Ohm64 Support is complete. I've been testing the current build for the last week or two, and everything seems to be working except some of the pattr stuff in a few client patches. Hopefully I'll be able to get this cleared up pretty quickly.

I'm currently reintegrating the TouchOSC template into the new schema...it depends on how long it takes me to do this, but its been pretty straightforward so far. It is completely different than the old version of the TouchOSC template. I think it would break things if you delete any of the stock pages in the TouchOSC arrangement, as the script will send controls data back to TouchOSC and it won't know what to do with them. BUT, I hadn't thought of that eventuality, and I haven't gotten that far on the script, so I'll try to add some kind of customization features in the MAP file so that you can turn pages off if you don't need them.

When the TouchOSC stuff is done, I'll release that portion of the suite.

Block support is planned, but I haven't decided exactly how to do it yet: I don't have a Block, so that makes it difficult to come up with a control script for the surface when its not in Monomod mode. I will probably just use Livid's stock script and add the Monomod stuff (with the mode toggle assigned to the Livid button). There will be the addition of flashing states to the stock script, at the very least.

I'm waiting on some things to pan out before I can release all of the current version...its out of my hands. I apologize for the delay, but it shouldn't be too much longer, and you can look forward to a much faster, easier, more complete monomodular when I publish the new stuff (along with some new original clients, and greatly improved documentation for those of you wanting to create your own clients) :)

I plan to support the new following controllers with the new version:

Ohm64
Block
Code
APC40
Launchpad
iPad w/TouchOSC

Keep an eye on the blog...I've been putting off making any announcements until I decide exactly what I want to release and when. Although I know it may look like I haven't been doing anything for a while, in fact the opposite is true....I've completely rewritten everything from the bottom up.

Send (or resend, if you already have sent me in the past) your system specs, email, etc if you would like to test this stuff before release.

a