Monomodular Thread (b994: Max6 Compatibility)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
amounra93

Re: Monomod & its Children (b92)

Post by amounra93 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Just checked PressCafe for preset saving/recall. Its working for me, both when just saving/restoring presets via Live's builtin capabilities, and when recalling as part of a stored Live session. Maybe there's a misunderstanding? If not, maybe you can send me an example of a preset that you've saved that's not working?
Last edited by amounra93 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

11olsen

Post by 11olsen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm

yes, sorry. it recalls sequences in cafe but not in boing. i didn't know the original boing. thats too bad it does not save. it's difficult to record this kind of sequences into a clip because it's changing continuously ,if you know what i mean.

btw: is this the right place to discuss everything or do you have something like an offical thread somewhere?
where do you release updates, in this thread? first post?

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 am

i didn't know the original boing. thats too bad it does not save. it's difficult to record this kind of sequences into a clip because it's changing continuously ,if you know what i mean.
yeah, I haven't figured out an easy way to store presets for boinngg, but when I have more time I'll look into rigging something up.
btw: is this the right place to discuss everything or do you have something like an offical thread somewhere?
where do you release updates, in this thread? first post?
This is the place. I always keep the first post up to date with most current releases. Drop me a pm with your email and I can notify you directly, as well.

The release of b93 is almost done....finishing up little nagging things right now. I should have it published later tonight. It includes updated GUI's for all plugs, an APC40 version, and a new timing engine.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 am

Wow so much to test out these days...
Can anyone confirm that Monomod can be tested with m4l in demo mode? If yes, what do I need to do to get into m4l-demomode? Still haven't had the time to install m4l, so I don't wanna waste time if it isn't possible to run in demomode.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:01 am

Can anyone confirm that Monomod can be tested with m4l in demo mode? If yes, what do I need to do to get into m4l-demomode? Still haven't had the time to install m4l, so I don't wanna waste time if it isn't possible to run in demomode.
Yes. Go to the "User Account Licenses" page of preferences, and check "Show All Products at Startup". This will give you the option to start Live in Demo mode. Saving and Exporting are disabled. I think you can also go to Ableton's website and apply for a month long "temporary license" if you haven't already. I haven't checked on this lately, but this is how it usually works (I'm a dealer....I turn lots of people on to Ableton this way).

Oh, make sure to have the most recent versions of Ableton and MaxMSP installed.
Last edited by amounra93 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

amounra93

Re: Monomod Thread (b93 APC40)

Post by amounra93 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 am

b93: Prettier Plugs, and now with support for APC40 :)

I like the APC. Its a little too big, but whatever. Its given me something to do while I'm sneezing my head off with summer allergies. Someday (sigh) h3xl3r will release a new TouchOSC that supports dynamic color changing, but until then, I think the APC is my new best friend.

So, here are some major updates, before I make a bunch more major updates. There are probably more bugs than before, I changed a bunch of stuff. But overall, everything should be more stable.

The APC patch is pretty cool...I implemented all the stuff from my iPad patch that I liked, so basically it mirrors the functionality of that. There are a few things I will add later if I keep using it. Suggestions are always welcome.

The child patches have all been updated. I spent some time creating another new timing engine (this is like the 6th one or something), and this one finally is working correctly in all regards. And its amazingly simple. I'm really surprised I haven't ran across the same algorithm in someone elses work.

This is how it works: Swing is bypassed when set to 0%, but it is still calculated. There is for some reason still a slight timing bug when deviating from 0%, and it doesn't make any sense. When I have more time I'll look into it.

There is also a "swing" button on each plugin. Turning swing off via the plugin actually turns off all swing calculations. If you turn it back on, swing calculations will resume for that plugin at the old rate. If you are not using swing at all for a plugin, you should turn it off, as it is much more efficient.

I have bundled all the Monomod specific functions into an abstract. This abstract can be easily included in any plugin you want to be a Monomod client. I'll write more about this later if anyone has questions.

Consequently, I'll have to figure out a better way to package all this stuff. Quite honestly, its a PITA to package all this stuff individually for each revision I make. I'm going to come up with a better method for distribution, I think. If you want to be notified of changes, send me a PM with your email info, and I'll start a list.

In addition to the timing engine changes, I made all the plugins look different, and removed most of the pattr dependencies. There may be some annoying inconsistencies, since I made a bunch of changes and haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Please let me know if you find stuff that isn't working.

Next major updates will probably be a while. I have to decide how to proceed in adding multi-device support. I think 4 devices plus an iPad should be sufficient?! Maybe that's even over the top.... Anyway, I'll make small incrementals as I/you find bugs.

Peace and Love.

11olsen

Re: Monomod Thread (b93, APC40)

Post by 11olsen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm

nice, will check it!

really better gui's!
and swing seems to work flawless.

problems:

plinko doesn't work anymore, no pad feedback at all. droped in the old plinko - worked instantly.

and some weird stuff with gome: first loop of a triggered seq plays notes with longer duration.

requests:

it's maybe to much to implant a saving option into monomod_boinngg but at least i need something to recall the scale (note mappings). the same in press_cafe. ability to save a custom map would be nice.

another usefull thing in the monomod collection would be an app to aply a harmonic mapping to the pads.
ala melodizer in 7up-live, or possibly easier to import the "pitch" from stretta's m4l monome suite.

greets

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am

plinko doesn't work anymore, no pad feedback at all. droped in the old plinko - worked instantly.
hmmm...haven't checked it yet...been having my own problems with tr256 (see below). Check it first thing tomorrow, I have to fix the loop restart anyway. I think I know what it is (a button that I hid....its still there, its just not in presentation mode anymore).

You should be able to use the old plugins no problem, except that swing wont work.
and some weird stuff with gome: first loop of a triggered seq plays notes with longer duration.
I think I know what that is, also. Easy fix.
it's maybe to much to implant a saving option into monomod_boinngg but at least i need something to recall the scale (note mappings). the same in press_cafe. ability to save a custom map would be nice.
I investigated saving current state in boinngg, and just haven't figured out a way to do it yet.

The other stuff should already work, though. Just save the plug in Live as a preset, and it should store all your settings and recall them correctly. If not, I need to figure out what's up, cause it works on my end. I even implemented saving of arbitrary custom maps in gome with the last revision.
another usefull thing in the monomod collection would be an app to aply a harmonic mapping to the pads.
ala melodizer in 7up-live, or possibly easier to import the "pitch" from stretta's m4l monome suite.
That very thing has been on my to do list for a while....I actually planned on starting it today before I got bogged down with this stupid timing/restart bs.

Drop me a PM with your email and I'll send you the patches direct/packaged when I get them together (hopefully tomorrow, as I'd like to be using them myself instead of trying to figure out how to fix problems lol).

The feedback is GREATLY appreciated. You just saved me an hour or two at least.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 am

Besides the above stuff, I've discovered another bug in M4L that is causing TR256/Plinko to spontaneously restart a loop at arbitrary times. Working on a fix right now. Problem is, there is just no proper way to fix the problem, as it really is a bug. I've been switching back and forth between different workarounds over the last year because of this situation, and it hasn't improved; now its really pissing me off. Stay tuned, I'll have patches up with temporary fixes tomorrow.

I am disgruntled.

Cheers.

11olsen

Post by 11olsen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 pm

at least report this bug to cycling74 or ableton. sometimes they don't even know what they mortised there.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Duly reported. I'm not sure if they are considering it a bug. I don't think anyone else is using this stuff in a similar way....I checked out Stretta's own patches last night and their timing system is a good deal simpler.

Anyway, I have a new method that is working well, hopefully have it pubished today.

TR256 now has two-button copy/paste functionality, currently working on getting auto-restart, trigger-restart, and record functions working for it. I'm pretty excited, I've wanted this functionality for it for a while.

Figured out a way to take the Program editor out of Plinko and make a "Pitches" style triggering instrument.

I am no longer disgruntled. :P

11olsen

Post by 11olsen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm

sounds good.
glad you found a methode

what makes me stuck to monomod at the moment is the idea to import other patches and really lift them up because we can make use of 8 extra buttons on the launchpad.(don't know if the ipad got these extra buttons too)

you8 know, everybody has it's own dream of the perfect patch. i checked at least 10-15 monome m4l sequencer patches.
now of course :P , i want a patch with the best features of all the sequencers.
(the best features in my eyes)

but it's dangerous to always dream of better music tools and actually never start to make the music with the given
conditions and limits. i know what i'm talking about there :roll:

otherwise "realize own device ideas" motivates me so much i even start to dig deep into m4l

another thing:

i think monoemu found a better solution to switch the quadrant on the 256 tablet with a 64 device.

instead of use the arrow keys to navigate, every (navigation)button is fixed to 1 of 4 quadrants.
that safes the pain to look to the screen for navigation +safes button press if jumping diagonal but thats not the point,

+there is a bug because it navigates the quadrant in session and mixer mode too with monomod simple

think about it, would be much more intuitive
(and i switch often because the 128 and 256 patches are the more useful ones)

greets

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem....I'm never finishing anything because I'm always coming up with new ideas about better features/functionality hehe.

Monomods abstract is still changing a bit here and there, but it should be ready soon.
instead of use the arrow keys to navigate, every (navigation)button is fixed to 1 of 4 quadrants.
that safes the pain to look to the screen for navigation +safes button press if jumping diagonal but thats not the point,
I thought of this earlier....it would be easy to implement. I think in the next major release, I will use the arrow buttons to shift by one cell in different directions, and use hold arrow+quadrant to navigate to different quadrants. I incorporated something like this with the APC40 version of Monomod, so there isn't much extra work to do to port it to the other versions.

I have set up a blog to take over Monomod related stuff, releases, comments, etc.

http://aumhaa.blogspot.com/

I've finished realtime MIDI record, copy/paste, retrigger loop on timing change, and retrigger loop position functions for TR256. I will release versions of it and Plinko tonight, promise. Can't wait to get to play with them ;)

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:57 am

I published a little utility, monotes. It is basically the program window from Plinko. It allows the assignment of MIDI notes to the grid. Link:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=359

Cheers.

edit::
+there is a bug because it navigates the quadrant in session and mixer mode too with monomod simple
I just noticed that you posted this. I'll adress it tomorrow. Not sure how that one snuck in there, I haven't been using the Launchpad lately. Thanks for the heads-up.

ikeaboy

Re: Monomod Thread (b932, Monotes)

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:04 pm

dying to try this out