BUG: looper automation only available when transport is on

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ring (Simon Slowik)

BUG: looper automation only available when transport is on

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Dear friends!

I was trying to control the looper by M4L. Looper has the device parameter named "State" with the values [stop, record, play and overdub]. Gerenally it works but there is one problem:

The looper automation only works when transport is on.
(For example if I send "record" with transport off, nothing will happen. When I now turn on tranport, it will start to record.)

WHY?
Is there a work around?!

Thank you,
ring
Last edited by ring (Simon Slowik) on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pid

Re: looper automation only when transport is on?

Post by pid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 pm

this behavior of looper is optional / dependent on other looper settings. read the manual entry for it.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:56 pm

No, I don't think so. I neither depends on the "song control" nor the "tempo control" nor the "quantization" settings.
The problem is not that it works different when transport is off - the problem is, that it doesn't work at all!

pid

Post by pid » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 am

my bad / misunderstanding sorry. apologies i cannot help further...
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

ring (Simon Slowik)

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:04 am

OK, to me it seems like a bug. Maybe you guys from ableton could have a look at this?!

And if so: Maybe you could also implement the complex warp mode to the loopers buffer?! That would be awesome!

Thanks,
ring

ring (Simon Slowik)

Re: BUG: looper automation only available when transport is on

Post by ring (Simon Slowik) » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:29 pm

For shure: If you start recording a midi or audio clip the transport turns on because that what's a sequencer does. :)

But for the looper it's different: if you set the quantization, transport and tempo settings of the looper to "none" then the looper should be completely independent from the global transport. That's makes conceptionally sense and that's also what the manual says.

You can map the buttons of the looper to MIDI and start/stop recroding when transport is off. I simply want to have the same functionality via M4L!

All other device parameters response no matter the transport is on or off.

I honestly don't see the point why that should be design!

S4racen

Re: BUG: looper automation only available when transport is on

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:27 pm

ring wrote:Dear friends!

I was trying to control the looper by M4L. Looper has the device parameter named "State" with the values [stop, record, play and overdub]. Gerenally it works but there is one problem:

The looper automation only works when transport is on.
(For example if I send "record" with transport off, nothing will happen. When I now turn on tranport, it will start to record.)

WHY?
Is there a work around?!

Thank you,
ring
This is excellent news!!

Can your workaround start with checking is transport is on? if so then a simple record begins if not it would trigger the transport and then record....

How did you find the state parameter??

It's a pity i imagine as i want to use the looper in a rack on a return track so i imagine i'll not be able to get at it.....

Cheers
D