UI for M4L Devices?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
sundar

UI for M4L Devices?

Post by sundar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:25 am

This seems like it should be really basic but I can't get this to work: When I create a patch in Max 5, I can e.g. choose that only the sliders and dials will appear in presentation mode. This works fine in the Max environment. If I open the patch and do not switch it back to patching mode, I will only see those sliders and dials. However, when I do this with a Max audio effect that I create in the Max for Live environment, I still see the whole ugly patch in my effects chain. The main problem is that often the UI devices are not even all visible when the effect appears in my chain. I need to 'edit the device' just to be able to adjust the sliders. Obviously, UI in presentation mode does work as it should for the 'readymade' M4L devices, e.g. "NoiseFilter" or "Comber" so I should be able to get this to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong though. (Ideally, I'd also like to be able to control my sliders with my MIDI foot controller, which I can do with "NoiseFilter".)

Thanks
Sundar

Gregory Taylor

Re: UI for M4L Devices?

Post by Gregory Taylor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:40 am

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your dilemma, but have you chosen the
Patcher Inspector from the View menu and checked "Open in Presentation"
in the Inspector as described here?

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vign ... faces.html

If that's not working properly, then it sounds like a bug.

sundar

Post by sundar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 am

Thanks!

sundar

Post by sundar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:48 am

So is there a way to do this too?:

(Ideally, I'd also like to be able to control my sliders with my MIDI foot controller, which I can do with "NoiseFilter".)

Like, I imagine ctlin would probably work (or would it?). It would be nice, however, to be able to set up these UI sliders on my Max devices for MIDI remote control like some of the other parameters in M4L.

sundar

Post by sundar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks very much. Somehow, I hadn't realized that there are native Live objects available in Max 5.