Filtering and mapping midi channels in M4L

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
exaltron

Filtering and mapping midi channels in M4L

Post by exaltron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm trying to create a filter or router for midi channels in an instrument chain, e.g. I have a midi guitar that sends each string on a different channel 1-6. I want to be able to filter out different channels and maybe send them to different midisend objects. I tried using the midiselector object to do this, but as far as I can tell, if I assign the input for the midi track to all channels, Live seems to merge them all into one, so that if I monitor midi coming out of the midi channel output of midi selector, it only shows "1", even though I know I am sending midi from 6 different channels. If I add "@ch 1" to the midi selector, I get no midi at all coming through.
Am I missing something? Is there a way around this?

Gregory Taylor

Re: Filtering and mapping midi channels in M4L

Post by Gregory Taylor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Having everything on Channel One is how Live has worked for a VERY long time.

If you describe your specific setup and goals in detail, someone may have a notion of some kind of workaround....

broc

Post by broc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 am

Interestingly, there is an exception of the "everything on channel 1" rule:

If you have a M4L *instrument* device on a midi track, it can receive and recognize different channels - provided that the individual channels are routed to it from other midi tracks. This way multitimbral instruments are handled in Live, and the feature is available in M4L too.

However, since instruments have no midi output the method can't be used for general midi channel routing or mapping.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:06 pm

broc wrote:Interestingly, there is an exception of the "everything on channel 1" rule:

If you have a M4L *instrument* device on a midi track, it can receive and recognize different channels - provided that the individual channels are routed to it from other midi tracks. This way multitimbral instruments are handled in Live, and the feature is available in M4L too.

However, since instruments have no midi output the method can't be used for general midi channel routing or mapping.
+1

we made a little workaround with Ralf (Suckow) 8 months ago, in order to use 16 channels in & out.
it works fine, even if some folks criticized it :p
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks all for the replies. My workaround was to create a new channel to receive ch 6 and then use M4L midi send on the new channel and a receive object that I put in the chain for the specific instrument. I was thinking for a minute I could do what broc had suggested above, but I think that would send that channel to everything in the chain, CMIIW.

broc

Post by broc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, I think using send/receive is the only "solution" in your case.
But keep in mind that it doesn't ensure accurate timing.
Last edited by broc on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

broc wrote:Yes, I think using send/receive is the only "solution" in your case.
+1

it has to be considered as a workaround.
Julien Bayle

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:03 pm

broc wrote:Yes, I think using send/receive is the only "solution" in your case.
Yeah I do detect the disappointing smell of latency when I play. Of course this is midi guitar so there is always a touch of latency. It's one of those things you can go completely Heart-of-Darkness about if you're not careful.