Save then close Max window breaks functionality of a delay

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
DJ Tequila
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 am

Save then close Max window breaks functionality of a delay

Post by DJ Tequila » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 pm

OK, so I got M4L recently and I've been looking at the tutorials. The delay tutorial was very interesting and contained the filter delay, which I really liked the sound of. So I made a small change (to add controls to change left and right filters simultaneously), saved it, then closed the M4L window.

The delay stopped working on window close. The dry path was unaffected but the wet path became silent.

If I just try to save it without making changes, the same thing happens.

If I load in the saved version, it's still broken.

I can drag the effect into the Max effects folder, which saves it as a different file extension. (Confusing?) This works on reload and I've added the functionality I needed with group controllers.

But that's just awful! I should be able to do this small change neatly within Max.

So, have I done something stupid? Or have I found a bug?

DJ Tequila
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 am

Re: Save then close Max window breaks functionality of a delay

Post by DJ Tequila » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:52 pm

It may be something to do with abstractions, of which a few are featured in the Filter Delay. Do I need to do anything to make them available before I save it out?

The other filters seem to save OK, and they include abstractions so I'm not 100% sure this is the issue.

Any ideas?

Can anyone replicate it?

DJ Tequila
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 am

Re: Save then close Max window breaks functionality of a delay

Post by DJ Tequila » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Looks like I've fixed it.

Basically, I tracked the problem down to the M4L.de.vdelay~ abstraction. The tutorial told me that I should be able to open abstractions as objects by typing their names in, but that didn't work for the vdelay.

Also, when I re-opened the patcher containing the vdelay after saving and closing the main patcher, the vdelay was greyed out.

I eventually found the vdelay file - which was called M4L.vdelay~.maxpat. Renaming the object to match this filename (minus the extension) solved it.

Just in case anyone has the same problem in future... :)

Post Reply