Tapestop (using curve and a delay)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chapelier fou

Re: Tapestop (using curve and a delay)

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:34 am

broc wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:It's clear that an engine is needed, wich continuously records the audio signal. And when you press the start button, it begins to play at the position you pressed the button, but slower, and then ramps untill it reaches the actual audio state.
But to catch up with the actual state it would have to run for some time with increased speed, for compensating the slower part. No?
Yes, sure. That's the mathematical part of the problem. It's a ratio between the "start length" and the playback speed. One mor time, i could be wrong. Just trying to, help, knowing that i am unable to do it in max.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

fx23

Post by fx23 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:05 am

i think that's right:

a sampler buffers audio with normal reading/writting position while a second pointer read same with a ramp going
from 0 to match normal reading at x amount of time

by the way i don't know max (as using usine), but i guess max has realtime samplers with sample accurate reading pos?
if so need to write/read the array with separate clocks, 'reading clock' being a morph between 0 and 'current_rec_pos'
made by a 0...1 ramp of 'wanted_reach_ time" length.

otherwise any pith /delay/playbackspeed stuff would imply brainy conversions...still a formula must exist..

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:04 am

i am glad you understand !

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:56 pm

chapelier fou wrote:It's fun how this "start thing" makes the brains hot (mine at least). My english is so poor and these kind of things are better explained with drawings.

If you guys doubt it is acheivable, just consider that the "tapestop" vst on windows does it. So it IS possible.

It's clear that an engine is needed, wich continuously records the audio signal. And when you press the start button, it begins to play at the position you pressed the button, but slower, and then ramps untill it reaches the actual audio state.

Sorry if it is too obvious, not clear, or stupid.
So you are confirming that the Tapestop VST works on live incoming audio? NOT simply an audio file that is loaded into the plugin? This makes a huge difference.
Unsound Designer

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 pm

stringtapper wrote: So you are confirming that the Tapestop VST works on live incoming audio? NOT simply an audio file that is loaded into the plugin? This makes a huge difference.
Yes i do.

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
stringtapper wrote: So you are confirming that the Tapestop VST works on live incoming audio? NOT simply an audio file that is loaded into the plugin? This makes a huge difference.
Yes i do.
i havent ever used the one you are speaking of, can you link me and then i will dust off the PC and see how it goes.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the one they are talking about:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/826.html
Unsound Designer

zalo

Post by zalo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 am

stringtapper wrote:I'm pretty sure this is the one they are talking about:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/826.html
yeah, the PC isnt coming back to life anytime soon, could someone possible make a video, i would like to see how it is handling it

does it incur a delay? is it just pitch shifting and not actually winding up?

two tracks, one with the effect and one without, both just clicks playing at the same time, i would like to see/hear if it shifts the timing and how

or just a upload track with a simple drum beat with the effect, preferably the longest windup time, clean, windup and back to clean again, looking at the waveform in live will give a lot of answers

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Indeed it is this effect i am talking about. Cannot make a video as i moved to mac, and that's the reason of this all.
Just put the effect in an audio track, treating directly the incoming audio. Ability to set start and stop length independently. And it's not pitch shifting. Really as a vinyl would do. No audible latency.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:46 pm

oh dear, i see this hasnt gotten off the ground yet.
So you are confirming that the Tapestop VST works on live incoming audio? NOT simply an audio file that is loaded into the plugin? This makes a huge difference.
If im not mistaken its 5 pages in and some people have only realised what the plug even does. Even though I made it pretty clear quite early on. What a nerve. Or some can't read.

lol.
Last edited by dna598 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 pm

You posted in this thread earlier?
Unsound Designer

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:27 pm

dna598 wrote:oh dear, i see this hasnt gotten off the ground yet.
If im not mistaken its 5 pages in and some people have only realised what the plug even does. Even though I made it pretty clear quite early on. What a nerve. Or some can't read.

lol.
can you help then? could you post an audio file or video demonstrating the effect on live audio, something simple like a straight drum beat, the longer the wind up the better, since i will be able to match it up and figure out what it is doing

if you could do that it would be a big help, so far you havent given a lot of insight to what the plug is actually doing, what it says its doing and what it actually is doing must be very different things

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

zalo wrote:
dna598 wrote:oh dear, i see this hasnt gotten off the ground yet.

lol.
can you help then? could you post an audio file or video demonstrating the effect on live audio, something simple like a straight drum beat, the longer the wind up the better, since i will be able to match it up and figure out what it is doing

if you could do that it would be a big help, so far you havent given a lot of insight to what the plug is actually doing, what it says its doing and what it actually is doing must be very different things
Yes ofcourse, Would love to help.

sorry its a crappy upload site.

http://rapidshare.com/files/425694376/tapestop_demo.mp3

This small and crudely done file is just a beat with slow times for start and stop at the start and faster times towards the end. It was all done realtime moving the speed sliders and touching the stop/play button, so its not totally accurate. With tight automation it sounds better.

BTW right mouse click adjusts up time, left click adjust down time, on the speed/slider bar.

what i forgot to show here is that you can start the beat with tape turned off, and turn it on for a slow tape start from silence. Impossible you say! lol.

I really have given all the insight possible with words about what this plug in does, and you can pretty much tell what it does from just looking at it. Have a look over at kvraudio.(link posted many times in the thread)

anyway hope this helps.

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

zalo

Post by zalo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:30 am

could you please post a dry version of the sample

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:36 am