the skill of organisation whilst learning M4L

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hussey

the skill of organisation whilst learning M4L

Post by hussey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I picked up the application and simply cannot wait to get stuck in. Before i do, I was hoping to pick up some tips on the best way of learning Max with the material i have. Obviously max is the best place to start and then followed with msp in the tutorial section. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions with regarding using the resources so i can learn m4l efficiently:

: Is one tutorial a day the best way to go?

: What sort of tasks should i be setting myself?

: What would be the required time each day spent on learning max?

: Is their any external resources that would be of benefit to me that i should know? (e.g. Computer Music by curtis roads seems good but is it to dated? Is their any other resources similar but that are up to date?)

: Is their any other resources i should know regarding max4live? (I have the tutorials along with baz's tutorials on y.t. and peter elsea's tutorials but is their any other i should know?) Computer music by Charles Dodge looks interesting, does anyone have it?

I know some of the questions depend on the person but was interested to know what peoples techniques were regarding max. I appreciate any feedback as this would greatly assist me in my education of max.

Thank you very much

Wallflower.

canine

Re: the skill of organisation whilst learning M4L

Post by canine » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi,

one per day:
You can probably progress much faster than one per day, depending on your knowledge of computers, math, music etc. And of course the tutorial. With some of them it really clicks and you start experimenting for hours, others you almost skip through, then maybe return to later.

tasks:
just start with the tutorials. They should get you inspired.

time:
the more you spend, the faster you progress. it's important in the beginning to stay on track, to avoid forgetting essentials again.

resources:
there is a great book called "loadbang" on PD (Max' free sister). Also looking into the language Processing helped me a lot, since I was new to object oriented programming altogether. Processing taught me a lot. The PD book is nice because many objects are very similar.
For Max/MSP there isn't really a good book that I'm aware of, but the tutorials and help files in Max5/M4L are really great.

Have fun!
canine