Automating Hardware Synths Via NRPN's

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
acatcalledanarchy

Automating Hardware Synths Via NRPN's

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi there beautiful Ableton peeps!

I've been playing around with Max for Live, and would like to build controllers for my hardware synths in order to Automate them from within Live via NRPN's. Is this at all possible..?

I look forward to hearing from you clever, clever folks...

Peace, love and flowers...
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

tyrosine

Re: Automating Hardware Synths Via NRPN's

Post by tyrosine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:41 am

I'd like to see a tutorial or intro on how to do the same. What synth are you trying to automate? I've had an Andromeda for five or six years and I'm finally getting around to using a proper sequencer. Live records mod, pitch wheel, and volume knob, but not much else, because most of the hardware controls on the A6 don't output CCs are far as I know.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 am

Live filters out anything but notes and (some) CC's.
To work with Sysex and NRPN you'll need to work around this limitation.
Its all possible but it isn't easy yet.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks folks for responding to my query. :D

Tyrosine

I totally agree with you, I too would like to see a tutorial that works - unlike Pym's here:

http://tetradev.blogspot.com/2010/03/nr ... asics.html

...which worked when I had the Max Trial but ceased working once I was left with Max for Live. As regards which synth's I'm attempting to build for: Prophet '08 & Moog Voyager. For the time being I'm using Atom's CTRLR VST's located here:

http://ctrlr.org

...but I would like to build my own in M4L if at all possible so that I can customise it to my needs... If you contact Atom and request a CTRLR for your Andromeda I'm sure he will fit it into his schedule, he will however need a full midi-implementation chart to achieve this.

hoffman2k

Would you be able to give me some pointers or point me towards an example patch so that I can understand what these workarounds are..?

Thanks again for you input...

Peace....
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

tyrosine

Post by tyrosine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:59 pm

@acatcalledanarchy

I actually learned about CTRLR a few days ago and have started communicating with Atom about a CTRLR for the Andromeda. Alesis does provide a MIDI/sysex chart but since the A6 only sends NRPNs for most of its modulations I don't think the CTRLR would work with Live anyway.

http://ctrlr.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30

I just started using Live recently and I was very impressed at first. But once I started trying to integrate it more fully into my studio (i.e. controlling hardware synthesizers) I've been a bit disappointed (no MIDI volume slider?). Maybe the next release will add some of the features that people take for granted in other DAWs. Live is still very impressive though and I'm committed to learning it and working around its limitations.

I'm a bit of a techie and would also like to learn how to setup Max4Live to work with the A6. I'll take a look at the link you posted and download the M4L demo. Thanks again.