Private coll names in multiple abstracts

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
amounra93

Private coll names in multiple abstracts

Post by amounra93 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 am

I've been meaning to post about this issue for a week now, and keep forgetting.

I stumbled over this when I was porting Tintinnabulome, and I haven't figured out an acceptable solution to the problem.

Tintin uses multiple versions of the same abstract, and each abstract contains a coll named by the first argument of the abstract. These colls are referenced by this uid by embedded elements elsewhere in the patch.

This works fine in a single instance of the plugin, but won't work if you want to run multiples. Normally I would compartmentalize the patch by using the --- attribute, but you can't combine the two uid methods (i.e. [coll #1---blahblah] or [coll ---#1blahblah). I'm trying to figure out a solution to this (other than the obvious answer: get rid of the abstracts and use embedded patchers).

Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about? There needs to be a solution to this, and I'm guessing there is one I'm just not thinking of. I've ran into this before, and had to tear down abstracts and rebuild them as embedded elements. This is way tedious, and way error prone. It wasn't so much a problem before m4l, but now there is a definite need for a way to do this easily.

Cheers:)
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

benbracken

Re: Private coll names in multiple abstracts

Post by benbracken » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

couldn't you just add the '---' prefix plus whatever name you want in each abstraction box? like [myAbstraction ---blahblah], [myAbstraction ---whahwhah]?

-Ben

amounra93

Re: Private coll names in multiple abstracts

Post by amounra93 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 pm

See, I knew there would be a simple solution to this. I think that will probably work, thanks for looking over my shoulder ;)
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.