M4L / Max 5.1.6 is out!

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
synnack

Re: M4L / Max 5.1.6 is out!

Post by synnack » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Just saw this about Vizzie. Very cool indeed. Hopefully it's stable with Max for Live.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

andrewbenson

Post by andrewbenson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:02 am

I wanted to mention for that the Jitter sale coincides with Ableton's winter sale:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/2010/get_i ... ith-winter

Another detail I'd like to mention is that Max 5.1.6 also features the addition of a new UI object called 'nodes' that is likely to be of interest to many Max for Live users.

Happy Patching!
AB

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:53 am

Also note that Max 5.1.6 requires Live 8.2.1 http://www.maxforlive.com/news.php?id=101

When sharing your devices on maxforlive.com you might want to note what max version you used in the description field. Please make sure you have 8.2.1 installed if you update Max to this new 5.1.6 release and post your devices on maxforlive.com. Also PLEASE NOTE this in the description of your device on maxforlive.com. There is a field for noting your Ableton Live version but not your Max version.

If you upload a device saved in 5.1.6 it make not work for users who have not upgraded so it would be good to note that. (For example, if your device uses the new nodes object).

http://www.maxforlive.com/news.php?id=101
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:03 am

Max 5.1.6 does not actually require Live 8.2.1

This is a mistake on our site -Nothing has changed from the last release, Live 8.1.1 is required and Live 8.2.1 is highly recommended.

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers

Andrew

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 am

Ah! Thats what I get for reading cycling74.com :-D

Thanks for the clarification. Maxforlive.com, facebook, and twitter all updated to reflect this more accurately.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:30 am

I'm a Max for Life user, should i uninstall Max and then install the latest version or can i just go ahead and install the new Max over the previous?

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:46 am

zeepster wrote:I'm a Max for Life user, should i uninstall Max and then install the latest version or can i just go ahead and install the new Max over the previous?
go ahead and install over the previous. that's what I did and it works fine. I believe the max installer (unlike the ableton one) detects and upgrades your install, not creates a new instance). no need to uninstall anything first.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 am

Thank you Tempus3r

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:58 am

Actually the reason nodes got added is because we found ourselves using it so much in MFL. When hooked up to a bunch of of parameters via the API, it's a really powerful and easy way to create complex parameter morphing and cross fading.

I haven't seen any crashes with it at all so far. If you get crashes which implicate the nodes object, or you can reproduce instability using it,please send them in to support or to me personally and we'll take care of it.

I'll add the feature request to lose the square UI constraint.

Thanks

-A

machine+1

Post by machine+1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:39 am

All I can say is Vizzie is a breath of fresh air! For someone like me who is very new to Max it's really the first bit of fun I've had with the damn thing so far. I only wish they would implement something like this for the rest of the program, audio & midi, because it really facilitates learning "from the outside in". This way seems much more natural (&fun) than plodding through a bunch of boring tutorials, slowly expanding to more complex patches.

11olsen

Post by 11olsen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:31 pm

machine+1 wrote:All I can say is Vizzie is a breath of fresh air! For someone like me who is very new to Max it's really the first bit of fun I've had with the damn thing so far. I only wish they would implement something like this for the rest of the program, audio & midi
the whole maxforlive.com is filled with patches you could learn from, from simple to complex.
what is better then open up a patch and see how somebody else dealed with a certain task.

O.

pid

Post by pid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:00 pm

11olsen wrote:
machine+1 wrote:All I can say is Vizzie is a breath of fresh air! For someone like me who is very new to Max it's really the first bit of fun I've had with the damn thing so far. I only wish they would implement something like this for the rest of the program, audio & midi
the whole maxforlive.com is filled with patches you could learn from, from simple to complex.
what is better then open up a patch and see how somebody else dealed with a certain task.

O.
hi 11olsen. that is exactly what you can do with vizzie. just open up the vizzie patchers and learn how they were made. and the advantage is they were made by maxheads at cycling 74 and are supported, as opposed to wading through the totally unedited 90% crap on maxforlive.com. for beginners, vizzie looks like it will be wonderful. i wish vizzie was around when i was first learning max/jitter.

just 2cents.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 pm

ShelLuser wrote:But my main concern right now is stability. I think this critter "isn't entirely stable". Far from it even...
Hey ShelLuser... what's not stable, the "nodes" device or the entire SW version? I was just thinking back to the old crashy days of M4L and really don't want to go there again 8O
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

pukunui

Post by pukunui » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:54 pm

ShelLuser's reports of flakiness are so far entirely anecdotal and not reproduced by anyone else.

May we please have a bug report? If there is a problem we'll fix the object for the incremental updates page.

Thanks

-A

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I've recovered old devices i built that 5.1.5 couldn't even open, 5.1.6 is the bomb!

A little trick i've learnt for bigger devices, before entering into patching mode zoom out as far as you can go and then go into patching...

Cheers
D