max 4 live - do i buy simply for expanding live?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Pasha

Re: max 4 live - do i buy simply for expanding live?

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Very useful links! Thank you :-)
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:33 am

tempus3r wrote:Ah ok. Btw, you can now download devices without having an account or logging in. I think that was one of your feature requests. :-D
Dude, you rock! 8)

Seriously, I think this is going to lower the acceptance level a lot and may very well attract more people jumping on the bandwagon.

I know I'll be rooting for maxforlive.com!

Oh wait, I already was :mrgreen:

All jokes put aside; I really think you made a very important change here which I'm pretty sure is going to last.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

deva

Post by deva » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:38 am

neuromodulator wrote:My 2c is, "No, you should only buy it if you intend to learn how to use it yourself."
Why do you say that? Seems like at some point, the library of devices will be extensive enough that they are worth the price no? I don't have much interest in learning Max... But I sure would like access to various utilities that work well in Live... midi utilities, step sequencers etc etc...

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:57 pm

I read your request for elaboration and wasn't sure how to answer, but then I went to another thread, and olivierseb said it for me:

"As always with Max, you won't find exactly what you need already done by someone else, just because we use Max exactly for this purpose: doing something really personal."

I think the marriage of Max and Ableton makes this an incredibly exciting time to be an electronic musician. But I think it's for this reason: we have the chance to build highly personalized tools easily within a really robust framework (Live). The possibilities feel limitless.

So I guess I have two reservations about buying Max 4 Life just to use the patches of others:

1) You're ignoring the really interesting part of what you've bought. It's a bit like buying a high performance car for the seat warmers, or something, in my opinion.

2) I feel that it's something of a rabbit hole you could waste a tremendous amount of time down, without much ultimate reward. That is, I think it's better to have a precise idea of what you want, and then research the tools that help realize that idea, than to just buy M4L because there's a ton of patches out there and "some of them have to be interesting" or whatever. If you can define what you want precisely, you might find a commercially-produced product much better suited to your needs for around the same price. If you realize that what you want is to be able to interact with your gear in a particular way that you can't otherwise achieve - then maybe you should consider learning M4L :). And if you can't come up with a precise definition...save your money until you can.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:19 pm

neuromodulator wrote:I think the marriage of Max and Ableton makes this an incredibly exciting time to be an electronic musician. But I think it's for this reason: we have the chance to build highly personalized tools easily within a really robust framework (Live). The possibilities feel limitless.

So I guess I have two reservations about buying Max 4 Life just to use the patches of others:

1) You're ignoring the really interesting part of what you've bought. It's a bit like buying a high performance car for the seat warmers, or something, in my opinion.

2) I feel that it's something of a rabbit hole you could waste a tremendous amount of time down, without much ultimate reward. That is, I think it's better to have a precise idea of what you want, and then research the tools that help realize that idea, than to just buy M4L because there's a ton of patches out there and "some of them have to be interesting" or whatever. If you can define what you want precisely, you might find a commercially-produced product much better suited to your needs for around the same price. If you realize that what you want is to be able to interact with your gear in a particular way that you can't otherwise achieve - then maybe you should consider learning M4L :). And if you can't come up with a precise definition...save your money until you can.
+ infinity
Unsound Designer