LFO everything 1.6 ....... faster, simpler, cleaner !

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
julienb

Re: LFO everything 1.6 ....... faster, simpler, cleaner !

Post by julienb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm

at least in this thread (or the other one), whatever I say, I'm sure I'll have at least 10 posts after me which will try to kill me, with words.
is it peace?

LF0 1.61 is the only one.
previous versions are past.
even that isn't enough.

btw, this was my last post about that (the real, this one)
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Random Mullets

Post by Random Mullets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I think Julien don't understand the meaning of peace.

You want peace , try to respect the community in first.

Random Mullets

Post by Random Mullets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 pm

it's a little bit easy to said that the"new one" is the only one and very arrogant to pretend that the other are past . it's not an elegant conclusion.

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:10 pm

Okay, here's an example of what I think would actually be a good response:

"Everybody. I obviously made an error. The reason that I used Edward's code without really thinking about was because it seemed to me that an LFO was such a simple construction, at its heart, that there was no need to start from scratch. I thought I would put a nice package on it, made it a bit more user friendly, and that it would be reasonable to charge a bit for the extra work I put in. I really, honestly, did not think about it very much as I was doing it.

The community reaction has made it obvious that I should have, and now that I stop to think about it, I can see why you object to me charging for something someone else was giving away. Again, I would like to stress that this was partly due to what I perceived as the simplicity/commonness of an LFO object, though I don't think that excuses it.

I'm sorry to Edward for any offence that I've caused, and I've removed his code from a newer version of my object. I'll also be much more careful about doing this again in the future."

THEN you get to say, "Peace," because it sounds like you mean something other than "leave me alone".

Or what salamanderanagram said.

Random Mullets

Post by Random Mullets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Neuromodulator +12

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm

+1 to the well written post from neuromodulator above. Communication and humbleness are two essential characteristics of the good businessman. If you want to sell your products, then you have the obligation to be a good businessman. Otherwise, embrace your independence and give away your work. If you want to engage in a partnership, then you have to engage with the concerns of your clients (i.e. me and those that have purchased your well crafted product). Otherwise, slap a BSD license on it and walk away...anyhow, all the best, i don't really perceive the need for any hard feelings involved in this. It's just education my friend ;]
i drop on the lokeymassive

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Give it a rest guys. He replaced the "copied" code.

You all raise some good points about open source software but quit making silly demands for apology.

Random Mullets

Post by Random Mullets » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm

i don't think that a little bit of honesty and humility would Kill Julien ....
silly maybe for you .
For me that point is more important than a code rewrite to save in extremis the situation /

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 pm

hydrogen wrote:Give it a rest guys. He replaced the "copied" code.

You all raise some good points about open source software but quit making silly demands for apology.
It's not about an apology (for me at least). It's about keeping people who aim to sell to the community honest, which Julien has yet to be about what happened. Potential customers deserve to be aware of that.
Unsound Designer

Random Mullets

Post by Random Mullets » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 am

i agree with Stringtapper.

salamanderanagram

Post by salamanderanagram » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:45 am

"Give it a rest guys. He replaced the "copied" code. "

this is not the relevant issue. the issue is an utter lack of honesty coupled with an unrepentant attitude. someone who pulls an act like this and is not shamed by public outcry is likely to repeat the transgression.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 am

At the very least, he replaced the code. Credit where it is due. I agree that a simple, honest seeming, apology would have been the only other thing needed to salve it all.

Julien, the internet is terrible with inflection and rife with exaggerated sentiments and it honestly sounds like you are a bit too hurt by the outcry a bit too much to see that all anyone wanted was a bit of accountability for what could have been a mistake or an attempt at foul play. I doubt that you were really trying to pull anything (though my opinion is only one), but it does seem like you made an error of judgement. not the worst thing in the world to do and certainly understandable. At this point, a simple apology really would do a lot to quell the clamor.

Everyone demanding an apology from Julien - Again, he was bothered enough to change the offending code. In the end, an apology is between him and Edward. A public apology 'would be nice' but is a separate gesture. Either you think he was malicious or not. Either you read him removing the code as an 'admission' or an 'apology'. Regardless, I am quite sure Julien will avoid a mishap like this again. To say that he 'will likely do it again' because he didn't apologize is a bit much.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 am

apology = admission = liability.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

salamanderanagram

Post by salamanderanagram » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 am

To say that he 'will likely do it again' because he didn't apologize is a bit much.
if you read my full sentence, i'm not saying he will do it again, i'm saying he very well may have had he not been caught this time.

i certainly could not ever trust someone who is lying to me, repeatedly, and in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. frankly i don't need an apology (or anything else) from julien, i just know now that i will never purchase anything from him.