M4L device to control "Original BPM" and "Seg. BPM" field?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
towers of silence

M4L device to control "Original BPM" and "Seg. BPM" field?

Post by towers of silence » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm looking to have a device to dynamically control those parameters but I'm not sure if it is possible. I have M4L but so far I've just been using other people's devices so I'm a total n00b to actually building my own.
What I'm looking to do is dynamically control the tempo of just a particular clip (which can be controlled with a mouse in the "Original BPM" field in MIDI clips and the "Seg. BPM" field in audio clips), not the whole arrangement. I'd like the other clips to remain playing at the global tempo but have the selected clip sort of drunkenly moving around the tempo (under my control, of course!) I was hoping to find a way to just automate this in the clip envelope section but that doesn't appear possible, so it looks like M4L might be my only option.
I know I can make a slight workaround by copying the clip with various tempo settings and using follow actions, but to get the effect I want I need to be able to be off the beat, I don't want to have changes occur at specific intervals and I want to be able to push and pull the tempo gradually under and over the global tempo. Mapping it to a macro knob that can be automated would be ideal....
Is this possible and how difficult would building such a device be? Again, total Max n00b, tho....

S4racen

Re: M4L device to control "Original BPM" and "Seg. BPM" field?

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi There,

Currently that aspect of a clip isn't available to M4L, the only way i could see you chivying this is by some way buffering and slowing the sample, of course speeding up would only be possible if you've got audio buffered, think of it like sky + you can rewind live tv but you cant fast forward to tv thats not yet been played....

Cheers
D

towers of silence

Post by towers of silence » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reply- that's too bad, I was hoping to be able to make it automatable somehow.
The only good workaround I've found is to just record a new clip that is fed from the track containing the audio or MIDI clip I'm attempting to uncouple from the global tempo. I can play my arrangement and use my mouse to shift the values in the field in realtime while I'm recording, changing the tempo of the original clip so that the new clip records the audio with fluctuating tempo.

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:23 am

ive got a live buffer manipulator m4l patch coming out, and has something akin to that, in that it has a fiddlable playback speed knob which feeds into a control for the groove~ object...the issue there is that it will repitch, not timestretch...we can all hope that the elastic~ guys will make good on their talk of open sourcing there object...
i drop on the lokeymassive