dynamic routing to audio tracks in Live?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tomjordan

dynamic routing to audio tracks in Live?

Post by tomjordan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 am

Hi, this might be a dumb question, but..

Is it feasible to run one instance of M4L on a "dummy" track in Ableton, from which, multiple instrument plug-ins could be opened in, and routed dynamically to various Ableton audio tracks?
i'd like to do most/all of the MIDI processing in Max, and be able to send the final audio (of many different instruments) to various tracks in Live, at any given time..
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.

abbey1

Re: dynamic routing to audio tracks in Live?

Post by abbey1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 am

You can use the Live object model to dynamically route the output of a track and therefore control what is going into the dummy track. I'm pretty sure you can't select which plugin is affecting which track is being routed into the dummy track, though.
Can I ask why you want to do this?

tomjordan

Post by tomjordan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 am

thanks for responding.. my previous explanation was kind of vague.. here's what i'm trying to do:

I want to go from a MIDI-in track* into a Max patch opened on that track, with the incoming MIDI passed to MIDI instrument plugins hosted in the Max patch, then the audio outs of the different MIDI instrument plugins to mixer/router/fx objects in Max/MSP, finally to audio tracks in Live routed dynamically in Max..

I want to use Live primarily as an audio mixer that can record clips of audio on any track, and do all of the MIDI processing/hosting within one patch of Max, so that I can change MIDI routings, patches, controller setups, etc.. in real time and from one interface, the Max patch..

(* this MIDI-in track was mistakenly called a "dummy" track before.. it's not a dummy track.. it's the MIDI input to one main Max patch that lives on this track, from which all of the MIDI comes in, to get routed to different MIDI instrument plugins hosted in this same patch, whose audio then gets routed dynamically to various audio tracks in Live)
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.

broc

Post by broc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 am

As I understand it, you basically want an M4L instrument device with multiple audio outputs.
But unfortunately at this time such devices are not possible in M4L.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your goals?

tomjordan

Post by tomjordan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:37 am

no misunderstanding.. that's essentially what i was looking for..

maybe something can be worked out by opening other "receiver" max patches on the different audio tracks, and send the audio from the master patch to the receiver patches through Max sends..

broc

Post by broc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Unfortunately, the Max objects send~/receive~ are not supported in M4L.

But since you are on Mac, you could try the plugins AUNetSend/AUNetReceive. I can confirm that it works basically.
But there is an inconvenience: the receivers must be re-connected manually every time when the set is re-loaded.