New live version = max patches fail?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Diskclaimer

New live version = max patches fail?

Post by Diskclaimer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm wondering what happens when, after I incorporate all these great max patches into my live sets, a new version of live gets released which breaks them. If they are no longer supported by the developer does this mean that I may lose part of the set? :cry:

Also. Is there any way to be notified of updates for patches that you have installed? :?:

Thanks. :D

broc

Re: New live version = max patches fail?

Post by broc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm

In general I would assume that new versions of Live or M4L are improvements/additions without breaking existing patches.
Some features may become obsolete, but not removed. I think that's common upgrade policy.

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:52 pm

broc wrote:In general I would assume that new versions of Live or M4L are improvements/additions without breaking existing patches.
Some features may become obsolete, but not removed. I think that's common upgrade policy.
But if you go on maxforlive.com and read the comments under some of the patches people are complaining about the patch no longer working under the current version of live :?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Diskclaimer wrote:
broc wrote:In general I would assume that new versions of Live or M4L are improvements/additions without breaking existing patches.
But if you go on maxforlive.com and read the comments under some of the patches people are complaining about the patch no longer working under the current version of live :?
Not sure which patches you are referring to, but I'm guessing they're API control devices.
In that case, yes some things did break. But only because Ableton made improvements to ensure every updated patch is future proof. The only thing I've seen breaking like that is pattrstorage.
And it didn't really break, the patches just need to have a checkbox enabled now.