M4L product life cycle?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
jonahhh

M4L product life cycle?

Post by jonahhh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm thinking about getting m4l, but I'm curious to know how upgrades will be handled. For example will I need to buy m4l 2 with Live 9? Or the opposite m4l 2 won't work on version 8. I'm leery of being trapped into a dual upgrade path.

Is there an official word from Ableton? It appears with the Suite software for example there has never been a paid upgrade. Is this correct? If true this is a good sign, but then there haven't been many improvements either.

Khazul

Re: M4L product life cycle?

Post by Khazul » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:32 am

At the current rate - you will probably be drawing a pension before you have to worry about it ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Forge.

Re: M4L product life cycle?

Post by Forge. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:08 am

yeah I wouldn't worry about it.

When Operator got some major changes, it was part of the Live 8 suite upgrade, not Operator.

but personally I don't think it works like that with M4L anyway - the updates would be at C74's end of things. With the current version you download the latest version of Max but authorise it from Live.

So in other words, I have the full version of Max 5 on my hard drive, but if I try to open it standalone I get the dialog "this trial has expired - [authorise]/[quit]", I can only open it from within Live.

How that will go when C74 updates to v6 you'd have to ask them or Ableton directly, but I don't think that's on the horizon at this stage. Even if you got stuck with Live 8 and Max 5 it's a powerful combo.