Smart knobs?? (sm4rt - or alternative!)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
uberdrums

Smart knobs?? (sm4rt - or alternative!)

Post by uberdrums » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am

I need to control to multiple fx parameters with one knob. I'm not talking about using chains in racks. I mean the ability to control filter cutoff with half a knob then delay time with the other half.
Surely I can't be asking too much? I don't even fully understand why this should need max, and why this isn't an included feature in Ableton.
There was a patch called 'sm4rt' but its been removed from the library. I can't believe that someone else hasn't done another one.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

triss

Re: Smart knobs?? (sm4rt - or alternative!)

Post by triss » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Can you point me to example of one of these knobs please? I can't get my head round the concept although it sounds pretty interesting

uberdrums

Post by uberdrums » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Umm, you should be able to google 'ableton smart knobs' and find something.
The concept is pretty simple, hence why I can't believe that it hasn't been done more than once...

You have one hardware knob,
From the zero position (or 7o'clock) to the halfway position (12o'clock) it sweeps a filter frequency.
Past halfway the filter does not change, but another parameter does.
In my example, delay time. So from halfway to the furthest the knob will turn that increases the delay time.

In theory you could have an infinite number of parameters mapped to that one knob.
Hope you understand!

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:26 pm

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=361

There is a much better version on its way (more efficient/uses racks) but I haven't had a chance to publish it. If this doesn't do enough for you, drop me some mail and I'll send you the new one.

Cheers :)

a
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

uberdrums

Post by uberdrums » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 am

Hi Amounra,

The device looks pretty slick. I'm not in position to try it out today. (back to work :cry:)
Thanks for the message tho, will definatly try it out. I have tried to learn a bit of Max, but I think it's too much of a distraction when I really need to produce!

Cheers

Lem